Organic Staining--what else can I do?

May 8, 2023
Livermore, CA
Hi all,

Based on what I've already read on this forum, I believe I have organic staining (I originally thought some sort or algae). We are located in California where it doesn't get cold enough to have to close our pool for winter. Ideally, we try to keep the chemicals up in the winter, but we've just had so much rain the past few months, it made it difficult. So our pool was pretty green up until a few weeks ago when I started balancing the chemicals and actively cleaning the filters (well, I do the chemicals, my husband is in charge of cleaning the filters).

I've attached some pictures--this is organic staining, yes? If so, anything I can do to treat it further? I'm keeping on top of the chemicals and already have the robot running daily. I brush the walls/floors 1-2x a week. It does look like it is slowly improving based on the tracks the robot is leaving on the walls, but it's hard to tell. I've done what others have suggested and put a chlorine tablet in the corner areas of the steps, which has been working to remove the stains.

Thank you!

Today's chemical test:
FC: 4
PH: 7.4
TA: 80
CalHa: 350
CYA: 50

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 16
When you cleared the green pool, did you follow the SLAM process and use only Chlorine? No algaecides, blue products or other pool store magic potions?

In the meantime, read up on stains in the pool. Note the process to test for Organic stains by placing a puck on the stain for a few minutes to see if it removes it or lightens it. EDIT - I just re-read and saw you tried this and it seems to be working. See my comment at the bottom on your low FC level.

Also note that your FC of 4 for a CYA of 50 is the bare minimum... bump up the chlorine.

Last edited:
Your previous thread shows some dark staining.

It might be copper.

Drop a vitamin C tablet on a spot to see if there is a reaction.

IMG_20230520_100213323_HDR.jpgIMG_20230520_112450850_HDR.jpgIMG_20230520_130619693.jpg0.jpg1.jpg

The CYA levels were beyond diluting, and we hadn't replaced our water in 7 years (thanks, California drought). Not to mention the algae was out of control and the pool became a breeding ground for mosquitos.
How many pounds of Trichlor tabs are you going through?

What test kit do you have?

So our pool was pretty green up until a few weeks ago when I started balancing the chemicals and actively cleaning the filters
It seems like you have long periods where the chemistry is allowed to get way out of balance.