Order of correction for balancing pool chemistry??

Jul 16, 2015
SC
Hello all -

First time poster but long time reader here!

I am curious if there is a preferred order for correcting imbalances in your pool water? My pool was recently finished. The contractor filled the pool, added salt and directed me to his preferred guy to get the pool water in order and maintain it on a weekly basis thereafter. Beyond the salt and a few pucks placed in the skimmer basket, I don’t think the pool maintenance guy has done much else. I, of course, would rather maintain it myself. I tested the water with my TF-100 kit and this is what I got.

FC 2.0
CC 0
pH 7.2
TA 30
CH 200
CYA 0
Salt 3700
CSI -1.41
Temp 50*F

Is there a preferred order for correction?
Should I correct the CH first with calcium chloride, then the TA with baking soda? Would it make sense to try to correct those first to see if it raises my pH, then adjust the pH accordingly with soda ash before adding CYA? I’ve read through Pool School, but perhaps I missed that instruction??

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum!
Great job on getting a quality test kit from the start!
We need more data. Can you fill out your signature? Pool type, volume, equipment, etc. I assume you have a plaster pool, but not sure. Any chance of a City name with the SC? I assume that means South Carolina? If plaster and salt has already been added, I hope the water has been in the pool for more than 30 days.

The two first things to manage are FC and pH. Your pH is in the 7's, that is good. Your FC is 2 ppm, with 0 CYA. It will burn off fast. So you need to get some CYA in your water. Start with 30 ppm worth of CYA. Maintain your FC at 3 ppm or a bit higher.

Get us the info I mention above and we can give more detailed guidance.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Can we assume your fill water is low in CH? If so, you will want to raise your CH to ~300 ppm total soon.

The TA and pH are low but I assume that is because the pool builder has been adding acid without proper testing due to the curing gunite. Only add acid now when your pH reaches 8. And only lower it to 7.6. Your TA may come up, but, it also is very close to the point that your pH becomes unstable. I would be sure you can get a hold of enough baking soda to raise the TA by 30 ppm fairly quickly. Be sure you use PoolMath for your chemical addition amounts as TA has a significant effect on how much acid to add to lower pH.

Great. Any chance at what Intellichlor you have? I hope the IC60.
Can we assume your fill water is low in CH? If so, you will want to raise your CH to ~300 ppm total soon.

The TA and pH are low but I assume that is because the pool builder has been adding acid without proper testing due to the curing gunite. Only add acid now when your pH reaches 8. And only lower it to 7.6. Your TA may come up, but, it also is very close to the point that your pH becomes unstable. I would be sure you can get a hold of enough baking soda to raise the TA by 30 ppm fairly quickly. Be sure you use PoolMath for your chemical addition amounts as TA has a significant effect on how much acid to add to lower pH.

Thank you so much for your responses. I am not sure if any acid was added, but for a pH of 7.2 I guess there must have been. It was a bit of an involved pool build. The water was added and then drained (to fix a plumbing issue) and then re-filled so the water has been in the pool for well over 30 days.

I have ordered my calcium chloride, baking soda, and CYA (granular) which should be here Monday. For the amount of CYA that I need to add to even get it to 30, according to pool math, my pH will drop 0.6. Adding my baking soda will only raise my pH 0.1 according to pool math. For a starting pH of 7.2, should I have some borax or soda ash on hand to raise my pH some to accommodate the addition of CYA and the resulting drop in pH?

Thank you again for your replies!

Best way to raise pH is aerate the water. Turn on your spa spillover and waterfall and other water features and let them run for a day or two.

Reactions: Farmoci

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.