Abilene, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
I am having to replace pretty much all my equipment and was considering going with a salt pool bundle since all my main equipment is being replaced. What are the benefits of converting to salt pool from just chlorine tabs or liquid?
As I posted earlier, finding replacement parts has been exhausting and it's now time to swim here in West Texas! My kids are not liking not having the pool open yet :mad:. I thought maybe switching now would be the best time to do so and make it easier to keep pool stable. Also have two kids with severe eczema and want to help them out.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. BTW my pool repair guy is not a fan of salt pools bc he says you have to supplement with chlorine anyways?....

Tabs continually increase CYA, so you are constantly chasing increasing FC demand based on the FC/CYA chart FC/CYA Levels. An FC below the recommended levels on this chart means not enough chlorine will be unbound and available to prevent an algae bloom and pool won't be sanitary. TFP does not recommend the tabs because the only way to combat the CYA increase is to drain and refill.
-Tabs are more hands off, but cause issues leading to improper sanitization in the long run.

TFP is built around daily liquid chlorine additions based on that same FC/CYA chart and appropriate self testing. This does not lead to the ever increasing CYA seen with tabs. By following the FC/CYA chart, any swimmers with sensitive skin will have less issues. Sensitive skin reacts poorly to chloramines and poorly sanitized water. The required FC can seem high if your CYA is elevated, but much of that is being buffered by the CYA and unavailable for immediate sanitizing.
-Liquid chlorine requires daily additions. This does not take long, but can't be skipped because you are busy.
-Results are awesome

Salt water chlorine generators (SWCG or SWG for short) provide the best of both worlds. They replace the daily chlorine additions with a more constant production of chlorine gas. You should still test your water regularly (self administered with a proper testing kit), but really only need to add acid to keep pH balanced once the other test parameters are within limits. Test Kits Compared
-No daily chlorine additions.
-Can achieve same crystal clear water as liquid chlorine based TFP care
-Lower FC required (see SWG tab on FC/CYA ratio)
-Many users feel they can go on vacation without coming back to a swamp

Pool builder's worry about still needing liquid chlorine. SWGs are for maintaining FC levels. It is beneficial to keep some liquid chlorine on hand to quickly raise levels if they are allowed to drop, but rarely actually needed.
Many worry about high salt levels. Proper levels (as tested with the Taylor K-1766) are < 10% of ocean salinity. Many pools already have half the required amount of salt in them just from prior chemical use, so check your salt levels before adding any.

I love and would recommend going to a salt pool and SWG.. They make life way easier and work great...

As for the equipment there really is no difference other than adding a SWG.. Are you trying to stay with Jandy equipment? Circupool is very popular with us because the warranty is still valid for DIY install, they have 5, 7 and 8 year warranties.. You can not buy Jandy DIY so a dealer will have to buy and install it..

10k gallons pool will need a 25k to 45k SWG, the bigger you have the less you have to run it.. Here is a great comparison for all the types of SWG..

BTW my pool repair guy is not a fan of salt pools bc he says you have to supplement with chlorine anyways?....

I recommend that you find a pool guy that has a clue what he is doing.. He is absolutely wrong about saltwater pools.

Just to make sure you understand how a saltwater pool works.. A saltwater pool is a Chlorine pool.. The Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG) just uses the salt in the pool water to make its own chlorine.

Once you start using a saltwater pool, you will wonder why in the world do I need a "pool guy"??? :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: cowboycasey
So I've decided to go with a "salt pool and will be talking with DSP about a bundle.
My repair/installer has agreed it is the best time to do so since we are having to replace all components.
I will order equipment and he will install all but the SWCG because of electrical hook up.
Do I need to hire an electrician to wire this in? I'll attach picture of electrical area.
Thanks for your suggestions and such as it gave me the confidence to do this :cool:
Excuse the mess around the pad as it has been busy and haven't touched it since was waiting for new equipment and all ;)

IMG_2433.jpgIMG_2432.jpgIMG_2431.jpg

Just ordered the

Ultimate Combo (Large Pools) - (RJ-45 PLUS Salt System, SmartFlo® 3.0 VS Pump, CJ2750 Filter, and TJ-16 Pre-Filter​

Can't wait to get this in and it is all in stock!!!!!!!

Reactions: Newdude
So here is an update:
Had the equipment installed after draining and power washing the pool
Could not fathom running that nasty green water through new system
Still working on pool levels but a week later it looks awesome!

I’ve included a couple of pictures to show new equipment up and running before the swg module being wired in

Attachments

• 7DE1C7F9-B38A-43ED-A446-3F3DC83DC299.jpeg
    7DE1C7F9-B38A-43ED-A446-3F3DC83DC299.jpeg
    715.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 73452239-1D30-473B-820F-E76DA37B95BA.jpeg
    73452239-1D30-473B-820F-E76DA37B95BA.jpeg
    534.7 KB · Views: 5
  • D845A25A-5C87-498D-9686-E1DD5769BE6E.jpeg
    D845A25A-5C87-498D-9686-E1DD5769BE6E.jpeg
    757.7 KB · Views: 5

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.