Options to Build Outdoor Accent Wall w/ Overhang for Modular Kitchen

dccargeek

May 6, 2019
Yorba Linda, CA
I'm in the process of sprucing up the backyard. One of the designs we got featured a large (18') block constructed kitchen with overhang and a 15' bar island. It even had a pair of steel posts with fire inside of them (a $27K option!). While I loved the design, that kitchen without any appliances would set me back ~70K (without the fire cages).

The photo here titled Overhead shows the large kitchen. To make this kitchen possible the designer also removed an older swim spa in our backyard along with the equipment. We don't use the spa so we are contemplating having it removed. The previous owners stuck it right in the middle of the backyard and with a few small kids having a wide open backyard is a bit more important to me. At least that's one of our thought processes.

We have a plastic wall that's about 10' in length (as seen in the spa photo). At one point we had our modular cabinets from NewAge set up against that vinyl wall and it worked out pretty well. I want to explore removing the current white vinyl wall and build a smaller version of the designer's kitchen.

Would love to hear your thoughts on some of the things I outlined here. The overall quote for this project (without a pool or water feature) was $250K. I blame some of this on hiring an HGTV-famous firm and some of it on the demand COVID has placed on this industry. I have a very talented masonry team that can do most of this work at probably a 1/5 of the price so my goal was to use this firm simply for design.

PS: Yes, that is a Block-O fire pit because going to The Ohio State University results in football sneaking into all your design ideas.

Attachments

• Kitchen.jpg
    Kitchen.jpg
    480.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Overhead.jpg
    Overhead.jpg
    531.9 KB · Views: 61
  • grill cabinets.JPG
    grill cabinets.JPG
    545.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Spa Shot.jpg
    Spa Shot.jpg
    632.8 KB · Views: 60
I would remove the spa and decking around it. Put grass in it's place for the kids to play on. Then I would move the outdoor kitchen over by the house to give you even more room in the yard for the kids. If you put it by the fire pit you could extend the roof over the seating area over it.

I would remove the spa and decking around it. Put grass in it's place for the kids to play on. Then I would move the outdoor kitchen over by the house to give you even more room in the yard for the kids. If you put it by the fire pit you could extend the roof over the seating area over it.

Thanks, Kimkats. I don't know why but I love the idea of an open backyard and using the side yard to house all the fun things. We've talked about pivoting to more of an above ground spa (for therapeutic reasons) or doing a pool along that far side as well. In the end having a wide open backyard is really my goal and I want to find a way to beef up our outdoor kitchen footprint without breaking the bank.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.