Options for tying in vacuum port

Chungus

Gold Supporter
Jul 14, 2019
Texas
My pool has a dedicated vacuum port. I am redoing my above ground plumbing. I have a built in spa and on the intake side of the pump I have a three way valve with the skimmers and vacuum port on one side of the valve and the spa drains on the other.

For whatever reason the pipes stubbed out of the ground are in this order - skimmer, skimmer, spa drains, vacuum port. Currently it has a goofy dog leg with four 90’s on the vacuum port to get it over on the ”pool” side of the three way valve.

The vacuum port has its own valve and we only open it when vacuuming. Is there any reason not to tie the vacuum port in directly to the pipe going from the three way valve to the pump? It would greatly simplify the logistics of the plumbing.

Here is a schematic. Basically the three way valve feeding the pump currently has the two skimmers and vac port on one side of the valve and the spa drain on the other side of the valve.

The three way valve ideally is located where the star is. The problem is the vacuum pipe is physically located on the spa side of where the valve is. Currently it has a bunch of 90s to route it over and connect it to the pool side.

Is there any reason to not route the vacuum pipe like the dashed line and have it tied in to the pipe feeding the pump between the three way valve and pump?

I'm not sure I am understanding the problem here. Are you just wanting to make the install look cleaner? I think it would work fine either way.

Short answer yes. I am redoing the above ground plumbing to make it more accessible. It was done very poorly and one has to climb over everything to get to valves or clean pump basket.

Right now the vacuum pipe has four 90’s above ground before it gets to the valve and looks bad. To add it inline with the skimmers that is the only way I can think of to do it. However if I connect it between the pump and 3 way valve I can do a much cleaner install. I can’t think of a reason it wouldn’t work but I wanted to be sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.