options for removing the pool light?

norcalpool1

Silver Supporter
Sep 16, 2017
Silicon Valley,CA
My pool is due to get resurfacing. I am considering the complete removal of two features of the pool. I don't know if I am making the right decisions or trying to do something unsafe or not good for the long term.

1. pool light - there is an old 120V pool light from decades ago (GFCI breaker is broken, lamp does not work). I am considering the removal of this light entirely and fill the niche (is it even feasible in a gunite pool?) With many floating/solar options for light (underwater, or outside the pool), there are many ways to have the pool lit for safety and that there is no need for underwater fixed lights, even low-voltage ones. The face-plate is made of metal. What are some of the options? Can the pool light area be sealed off with a plastic faceplate? Eventually, the pool setup will be upgraded to support salt-chlor pool.

2. There is a waterfall feature here that draws water directly from the pool (there is an intake hole in the pool, under the tile line, and water goes out of the pool into the waterfall pump). I am thinking of closing this path, and running a water pipe from the main filter to the waterfall feature. That would remove all sorts of electrical connections in the waterfall area, and therefore seems safer. This is a very small waterfall, probably running a few gallons a minute.

What are your thoughts?

Yes and yes........you can do both things if you want. Your plaster person should fill in the hole the light was in with cement or such. He will allow it to dry then do the plaster work. For the water feature....you can do that. It will mean a little more work so will cost a few more $$. Make sure you can shut a valve or in some way keep the water from running through the water feature for the times you don't want it going. You will also want to make sure you run the water feature at least every other day to keep the water "fresh" in the pipes and such.

Kim:kim:

Something to consider on the pool light part. If you ever have second thoughts later about a light, or decide to sell later, the missing light niche might be an issue. I've not used the other products before, but sometimes those floating/solar lights and such just don't seem to give-off the same illumination or ambiance as a hard-wired product. Now if you're dead-set against a powered light right now, you could:
1. Fill-in the niche and have your new plaster job cover everything like it was never there to begin with
2. Repair it now and have a safe, properly functioning light - either halogen or LED
3. Not fill it in, but disconnect all power to that area, wrap-up the light cord for (possible) future use, seal the conduit with a rubber compression plug or non-permanent pool putty, and either cover the niche with a non-working bulb or a niche cover of some type for aesthetics. I see several of them when I search in Google, much like THIS ONE. That way the option is still there later for a light if you or anyone else should want one.

My pool is due to get resurfacing. I am considering the complete removal of two features of the pool. I don't know if I am making the right decisions or trying to do something unsafe or not good for the long term.

1. pool light - there is an old 120V pool light from decades ago (GFCI breaker is broken, lamp does not work). I am considering the removal of this light entirely and fill the niche (is it even feasible in a gunite pool?) With many floating/solar options for light (underwater, or outside the pool), there are many ways to have the pool lit for safety and that there is no need for underwater fixed lights, even low-voltage ones. The face-plate is made of metal. What are some of the options? Can the pool light area be sealed off with a plastic faceplate? Eventually, the pool setup will be upgraded to support salt-chlor pool.

2. There is a waterfall feature here that draws water directly from the pool (there is an intake hole in the pool, under the tile line, and water goes out of the pool into the waterfall pump). I am thinking of closing this path, and running a water pipe from the main filter to the waterfall feature. That would remove all sorts of electrical connections in the waterfall area, and therefore seems safer. This is a very small waterfall, probably running a few gallons a minute.

What are your thoughts?

i would say they could put in a new led even a color changing one easy and fix the gfci

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.