Optimal Filter/Pump/Plumbing and possible SWCG setup for 32,500 gallon pool

kroe

Mar 18, 2017
Wallingford CT
Just had a tree split on our property and land directly on the equipment that supports our 20x40 inground pool. Very annoying at first, but we have a foot and a half of snow on the ground, so now that I have removed the tree I am taking advantage of the time to plan out future equipment before water temps are even close to reasonable.

Welcome all perspectives on how to proceed.

Pool history:
  • 20x40 liner pool installed in 2006. Bought house in 2015 so minimal knowledge of history.
  • Former equipment was a Heldor 36 sf DE filter, Hayward 1.5 HP super pump.
  • Two lines in at corners in right side, two skimmers at surface on left side. No main drain.
  • Lines from and to pool are 1.5", so two 1.5" to the jets, and two 1.5" to the returns.
  • Ran successfully using bleach for the two seasons I have lived here.

Goals:

• Reliability - I don't want to touch this for 10 years.
  • Eliminate daily maintenance.
  • Save energy.
  • Cost - I should say value... I don't mind spending money if it is worth it, but brands don't matter to me, I want the best for the buck.

Already bought:
  • Hayward DE6020 DE filter. Twice the size of what I had, hopefully will reduce maintenance.
  • Hayward SP0715XR50 multi port valve. Six position, 2" fittings.

Questions:
  • What is the best way to merge my two 1.5" feeds and returns to create a 2" to the filter and pump circuit? I have two 1.5" pipes coming out of the ground from each end. I know I will get better flow if I can efficiently merge the two parallel 1.5 circuits to 2" and run everything serial and above ground at 2", but is there a 1.5x1.5x2" diverter valve, or do I buy the 2" diverter valve and use bushings to reduce to the 1.5" sides I can't control (not digging)?
  • I have a Hayward Super Pump 1.5 HP with 1.5" inlet and outlets. I am fine with replacing it with a two speed or variable speed, but it needs to be dead reliable... what is a good 2" pump for a pool of my size that I won't need to touch for 10 years? Or should I just accept the 1.5" restriction of the pump I have that works fine and won't die any time soon?
  • While I am at it I am planning to leave enough pipe for a SWCG to be spliced in later. Should I just do it now? What SWCG would you get for a pool of this size with light family load? I don't mind spending money on it if it means I am not adding bleach every other day all summer and it doesn't create it's own maintenance issues.

Appreciate the advice. Been reading this forum since I got the pool, first time I am reaching out to the community.

K,

Welcome to TFP... It is about time you signed up... :D

I can't be much help with the plumbing questions, but my gut says it will not make much difference... How about posting a pic of your equipment pad so that your questions might make more sense to us..

As far as a SWCG goes, with a large pool like yours you'll need to have one that is rated for a 60K gallon pool. We always recommend 2 x the size of the pool. That will cut down on what is available.

Just wanted to say glad you are here. I'm sure you'll get more answers soon.

Jim R.

You can use a Jandy or Pentair never lube style valves that has 1-1/2" inside and 2" outside diameter measurements to mix/blend the water lines coming from the pool. There is a pic of mine in my pool thread, link in sig.

I am a Pentair guy because my PB installed Pentair equipment and it has worked great for me. So, I have an Intelliflo variable speed pump that I love. It has worked flawlessly for 5 swim seasons and we are just starting up season 6. It operates 24x7 more than it doesn't. I run it att 1100 rpm for skimming (lots of tree debris), making chlorine with SWG and solar heat standby. It uses 150 watts at 1100 rpm, at 10.25c/kWh it costs less than 12 bucks a month to run it 24x7.

If you go with Pentair then the IC60 Intellichlor SWG is a good choice.

Appreciate the advice so far.

Purchased a CircuPool SJ-55 SWCG... and some Jandy 3 way valves.

Need the community's help to determine:
1.) Variable speed pool pump to buy for 32,500 gallon 20x40 with two outlets, 1.5" piping to each. I currently have a 1.5hp Hayward SuperPump.
2.) What do I use for piping? I really would like black PVC for looks since the equipment is visible, but black, sun, fading, I get it. Bad idea? (and I know PVC is not ABS, I would buy actual black PVC - cheap enough, only need 2 sticks).
3.) Slab - I can pour one to put this stuff on, any references to smart things to do while doing it, like embed rods to mount filter, etc? Any better/simpler way to create a stable base?

Thanks!

1. I would use the Pentair Superflo VS 1-1/2hp pump, 342001.
2. You can spray paint pvc pipe any color that you want. My spray paint lasted 3 years so far wand just a few spots need touch up. Any exterior spray paint is fine.
3. Lowes sells some mesh that you can use instead of rebar. You can also buy pre-made pads for pool equipment and/or AC equipment.

K,

I would just pour a simple concrete pad. Nothing needs to be bolted down.

Don't bring the pipes up through the concrete. Bring them up in front of the pad and give yourself plenty of room between valves so you can repair/replace then later if necessary.

I would look for a VS pump that has an output the can turn on a SWCG when the pump it running and turn the SWCG off when the pump is not running. I think Jandy makes one the does that..

Any VS pump that is 1.5 to 3 HP will work fine for your pool.

I would use regular schedule 40 PVC and paint if you are worried about the sun.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.