Opinions Requested - Pavers or Concrete?

We are also putting down pavers. The link in my sig has a couple (poor) pics.
Another reason we went with pavers is the need for extra drainage. Even with adding four extra french drains, the addition of 1200 sq/ft of hard surface to my small yard had me concerned.

You might check with Pavestone. The Pavestone brand was 1/3 cheaper than Belgard paver. ($3.50 vs $5 sq/ft)

There is always the concern that the pavers you like may not be available. They make these in big batches, not small special orders. We settled on our third choice of color and style.

Presently, we are leaning towards travertine pavers.

For sure, travertine has issues; namely staining and cracking. But travertine pavers may be the best solution for the money.

We may try to seal the travertine to ward off evil straining spirts and to enhance the color.

Not sure what cracking and staining issues people have been having.
We have done driveways out of it with no issues, so if it can handle that, I dont think pedestrian traffic is a big deal.
It really comes down to the base it is sitting on.
If you let a bunch of leaves lay on it, or spill oil it will stain, other wise it is fairly easy to take care of.

Just-a-PB:

If I may ask, for what concerns pool decking intended for foot traffic and patio furniture:

Are there different thicknesses of travertine pavers? What thickness do you recommend?

Are there different grades of travertine pavers? Do I need to ask for anything specific to obtain good quality/durability etc.?

How would you recommend that the base be prepared? Is a concrete toe the preferred way to secure the border? Should the toe have rebar?

Any other tips for a total newbie like myself?

Thanks,
Lizzy

The only thickness travertine paver I've seen is about 1 inch thick. I would imagine base prep would be critical and done differently than thicker brick pavers.

In the coastal areas of Texas, paver installers just till in some portland with the sandy soil and compact. :hammer:

Most travertine pavers are 3cm thick, which is 1.2" You can get coping from 3cm to 10cm thick depending on how you want the edge to look.
As far as quality goes, there are clean stones that have a small number of holes in them, and there are cheap stones that can look like volcanic rock. Also the cuts/sizing matters. Some stones are cut very nice and fit tight together, while others can contain irregular cuts, which makes laying it a pain.
If you can see the actual pallets of stone before you buy that is always best.

Prep has to do more with where you live and soil conditions. We don't have freeze thaw here so we compact 2 to 4" of AB depending on soil type, and 1" of sand. We do a concrete wedge to hold it all together, like typical pavers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Drockfresh, we have Cambridge brand pavers around our pool, including the coping, and we have been very happy with them. They have what's called Armor Tech which is supposed to hold their original color and keep their smoothness without getting worn over time. Not sure if the color part is true (hard to tell if color slightly fades each year) but they do still have the same textural feel without signs of wear as when they were installed. I completely agree with all the other posts about the qualities of paver, especially in case of repair work if needed. We have a safety cover and it holds great in the pavers. Just make sure you're installer knows how to apply the polymeric sand correctly, as that is critical in holding up to pool traffic. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.