Opinions on "Jacuzzi" brand pump and filters

clg82

Jun 25, 2013
Just like the title says....I'm getting ready to swap out some 20 year old pool equipment with a new filter and pump. The local Leslie's pool company is suggesting the jacuzzi brand variable speed pump as well as a new jacuzzi brand filter. Anyone familiar with that brand and any opinions good or bad would be appreciated.

Where are you located? What equipment do you have. Leslie's only sells a 2.5 hp vs pump in California. They may sell other models elseware. 2.5 hp is more pump than most need. It makes no sense for most to get more pump than you need.

The primary residential pool pump manufacturers are Jandy, Pentair and Hayward. So there are not that many residential pools with Jaccuzi pumps. It will take a while to get a few responses.

You are correct I do live in California....why is a 2.5 HP pump too much? isn't more better when it comes to the pump and filter on an ig pool?

Too often people and pool builders buy/use pumps that are WAAAY overpowered relative to what their filters and plumbing system can handle. It's like putting Ferrari engine in a Yugo - lots of power as long as the car doesn't come flying apart when driving it.

You are apparently not new to this forum but you have no pool information in your signature. Without any information about your pool equipment and setup, there's no way to help you find the answers you are looking for. When purchasing a pump, overall horsepower is only one of many things to consider and bigger isn't always better.

As for pump/equipment brands, it sounds like Jacuzzi is trying to break into the pool market and sell through a big supplier like Leslie's. As gwegan pointed out, Pentair, Hayward and Jandy and the largest pool equipment suppliers in the US market. You will find most people on this forum have one of those brands. Depending on your budget for equipment replacement and overall willingness to risk using a new supplier like Jacuzzi, that particular pump may or may not be a good investment.

Please update your signature line with your current equipment setup and post back with some descriptions about your pool's plumbing (pipe sizes, number of returns, skimmers, main drains, distance of pool to equipment pad, etc) and the Experts here can help you figure out how much pump you actually need.

No more isn't necessarily better when it comes to pool pumps. No matter what you do a 2.5 hp pump is going to draw more power than a 1.5 pump. Over time that adds up. And you live in California with some of the highest electricity rates in the nation so it really adds up.

Ok everyone sorry it took me some time to get back to you....here is what the pool looks like....we just purchased this home so I am unsure on how many gallons it has etc.....

also here is the current equipment pad that I am looking to replace....as I already stated Leslies is trying to sell me on a Jacuzzi brand variable speed pump and new filter....any suggestions on what type of pump and filter you would use would be much appreciated.....

Pentair and Hayward are by far the most most popular brands of pumps and filters. The GL-235 is a good solar controller.

I am very happy with my Pentair Intellifo VS pump and there are many, many folks here who are also happy with theirs. They are incredibly efficient and quiet. I will buy another one the day this one fails. Hayward also makes a good VS pump. As mentioned above there are very few folks with jacuzzi branded equipment and I don't remember seeing any feedback on it ever.

Pentair and Hayward are by far the most most popular brands of pumps and filters. The GL-235 is a good solar controller.

I am very happy with my Pentair Intellifo VS pump and there are many, many folks here who are also happy with theirs. They are incredibly efficient and quiet. I will buy another one the day this one fails. Hayward also makes a good VS pump. As mentioned above there are very few folks with jacuzzi branded equipment and I don't remember seeing any feedback on it ever.

Very few because the majority of pool owners have no need for a 2.5 pump? or for other reasons?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't know what the reasons are. Maybe less pool builders are jacuzzi authorized installers. The Pentair Intellifo is a 3hp pump as is the most popular Hayward VS pump. It is often more pump than is needed but that is one of the primary benefits of a VS pump, you can set it to whatever speed you need. I run my pump at 1100 rpm for filter, making chlorine and skimming and it only uses 150 watts. At 10.25c/kWh I can run the pump 24x7 for less than 12 bucks per month.

I understand that but someone mentioned above that a 2.5 hp pump is going to use more energy than a 1.5 pump. And I understand that but what is the differences and benefits if any of using a higher hp pump?

A single speed 2.5 hp will use more energy than a single speed 1.5 hp pump. Different pools need more or less hp for different reasons. To run solar panels, water features,, spas, heaters, etc. I use a higher speed for solar than I do for skimming and making chlorine for example.

Re: Opinions on "Jacuzzi" brand pump and filters

Gave up on fixing the heater?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No that is another story in and of itself.....I couldn't figure out how to get the spa pump to kick on....so whilst messing with some of the breakers I turned the "main breaker" off and than on again and the spa kicked on and works perfectly now......than when I turn it off and than back on the regular pool pump will work independently as it's supposed too.....is this normal or did someone mickey mouse the spa into the main panel of the pool? I plan on having a pool equipment assessment done this weekend and go from there....the guy at leslies said that the heater I have they can still get parts for so maybe the guy they send out can show me how to turn it on and get it to fire etc......

- - - Updated - - -

A single speed 2.5 hp will use more energy than a single speed 1.5 hp pump. Different pools need more or less hp for different reasons. To run solar panels, water features,, spas, heaters, etc. I use a higher speed for solar than I do for skimming and making chlorine for example.

gotcha....well I do have both of those, a spa and solar heating....so maybe the 2.5 pump isn't a bad selection for me....leslies says it comes with a 5 year warranty.....it's just the brand and lack thereof of reviews that is making me hesitant...

Its the spa and the necessity to move large volumes of water that leads to the recommendation of a larger pump.

If you want to spend the money I bet you could find a pool guy who would replace all your very old equipment and install a automation system for an obscene but reasonable price.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.