Opinions on cartridge filters

Feb 1, 2015
Austin, TX
I have a Jandy CL340 with a 12,000 plaster pool (SWG). With regular (6 month) cleaning, I got almost 5 years out of the original Jandy/Zodiac cartridges. After replacing them with Pleatco's, I've cleaned them three times in 15 months when the pressure increases around 10psi (from 10-20).

Does anyone have opinions on lifespan of more expensive filters (Jandy, for example) vs. the Pleatco's or Unicels?

I've been using Pleatco cartridges for many years now. They work better, stay clean longer, are easier to clean and cost less than the original cartridges in my Pentair filter.

Fyi, we recommend cleaning the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. Waiting for a 10psi rise is usually too long and greatly reduces your flow rate.

BRS,

I'm curious if the 10 to 20 PSI, is your normal mode of operation, or is it just a speed you have picked to test your filter pressure???

I ask because my cartridge filter pressure is about 2 or 3 PSI when I am running to make chlorine.

If you are getting 10 PSI, you must be running your pump at close to 3K RPM..

I run at 1,200 90% of the time. I'm sure I could go a year between cleanings, but I normally clean the filter twice a year.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.