Opinions on cartridge filters

BRSAustinTX

Feb 1, 2015
Austin, TX
I have a Jandy CL340 with a 12,000 plaster pool (SWG). With regular (6 month) cleaning, I got almost 5 years out of the original Jandy/Zodiac cartridges. After replacing them with Pleatco's, I've cleaned them three times in 15 months when the pressure increases around 10psi (from 10-20).

Does anyone have opinions on lifespan of more expensive filters (Jandy, for example) vs. the Pleatco's or Unicels?

pooldv

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 10, 2012
FL panhandle
I've been using Pleatco cartridges for many years now. They work better, stay clean longer, are easier to clean and cost less than the original cartridges in my Pentair filter.

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Fyi, we recommend cleaning the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. Waiting for a 10psi rise is usually too long and greatly reduces your flow rate.

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
BRS,

I'm curious if the 10 to 20 PSI, is your normal mode of operation, or is it just a speed you have picked to test your filter pressure???

I ask because my cartridge filter pressure is about 2 or 3 PSI when I am running to make chlorine.

If you are getting 10 PSI, you must be running your pump at close to 3K RPM..

I run at 1,200 90% of the time. I'm sure I could go a year between cleanings, but I normally clean the filter twice a year.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.