Opinions need for choosing new pool build equipment & SwimJets

Feb 18, 2018
Roseville, CA
We were given choices on our pool equipment and having little knowledge, we would like the experienced and educated minds here to weigh in.

Pool is 650 SqFt with Cabo shelf, 4’ Fun zone for the kids with 1, perhaps 2, Badu SwimJets, which will be used for paddle/boogie/knee boarding, kayaking, and occasionally swimming.

We’re a bit over 20,000 gallons.

Pump
Jandy VS 2.7THP
Pentair Intelliflo

Filter
Jandy CL4600
Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 SqFt

Cleaning
Polaris 280 Pressure Side Cleaner with Booster Pump
Polaris 3900 Sport

Badu SwimJet Super-Sport II

iAqualink pool automation

Please advise. Thank you!

Attachments

• E22A2AFD-4325-4EC5-AD90-A695C53390F4.jpg
    E22A2AFD-4325-4EC5-AD90-A695C53390F4.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 42
Welcome!
How do you plan to chlorinate? With automation you want your pump, SWCG, and automation to all be from the same manufacturer. I have Pentair which I like.

Many here on the forum are switching to robots for cleaning. Less equipment needed (no booster pump) and far less electricity used as no pump needs to run to clean the pool.

S,

If you are going with the Jandy automation, then I would also go with the Jandy pump.. I can't see where one filter is any better than the other.

Installing a pressure side cleaner and booster pump is about the same as buying an old Black Rotary-Dial phone instead of a cell phone. I would go with a Robot Cleaner instead.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Re: Opinions need for choosing new pool build equipment & SwimJets

Welcome!
How do you plan to chlorinate? With automation you want your pump, SWCG, and automation to all be from the same manufacturer. I have Pentair which I like.

Many here on the forum are switching to robots for cleaning. Less equipment needed (no booster pump) and far less electricity used as no pump needs to run to clean the pool.

We plan on good old chlorine, and not SWC, because we’ve been advise that our pebble finish will age twice as fast with salt water. Been trying to validate that though too.

- - - Updated - - -

S,

If you are going with the Jandy automation, then I would also go with the Jandy pump.. I can't see where one filter is any better than the other.

Installing a pressure side cleaner and booster pump is about the same as buying an old Black Rotary-Dial phone instead of a cell phone. I would go with a Robot Cleaner instead.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim.
Any suggestion on the robot cleaner? We were advised because of our floor elevation (4’-7’ on the large side, but only 4’ In the kids zone) that the incline could be difficult for the robot. Again, no experience in this, so I’m soliciting for information, confirmation, and user knowledge. Thanks!

We plan on good old chlorine, and not SWC, because we’ve been advise that our pebble finish will age twice as fast with salt water. Been trying to validate that though too.

Thanks Jim.
Any suggestion on the robot cleaner? We were advised because of our floor elevation (4’-7’ on the large side, but only 4’ In the kids zone) that the incline could be difficult for the robot. Again, no experience in this, so I’m soliciting for information, confirmation, and user knowledge. Thanks!

S,

Saltwater has zero effect on a pebble finish... The salt level in a saltwater pool is about the same as what is in your tears.. it is not like seawater... Ask who ever told you that, to show you proof.. if it is true, he should be able to take you to a pool and show you where the pebble has failed... The main problem with Saltwater pools is that they are just too easy to take care of... and what this does is lull people into a sense that you don't need to perform routine tests and keep your chemicals in line. So pool owners become complacent and let their pH and CH get out of control and they end up with scale... This is not because saltwater pools are bad, but people are just inherently lazy.. :p

My Robot pool cleaner climbs right straight up my pool walls and "almost" tries to climb right out of my pool.. I can't see a little thing like a slopping bottom being any kind of issue. I would not even buy a cleaner from a pool builder.. I would have them install a suction vacuum port in the side wall of the pool with an on/off Jandy valve at the pad.. Just in case you ever need it in the future... I would then buy my own robot.. Here is a good thread for you to read... Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

Thanks,

Jim R.

S,

Saltwater has zero effect on a pebble finish... The salt level in a saltwater pool is about the same as what is in your tears.. it is not like seawater... Ask who ever told you that, to show you proof.. if it is true, he should be able to take you to a pool and show you where the pebble has failed... The main problem with Saltwater pools is that they are just too easy to take care of... and what this does is lull people into a sense that you don't need to perform routine tests and keep your chemicals in line. So pool owners become complacent and let their pH and CH get out of control and they end up with scale... This is not because saltwater pools are bad, but people are just inherently lazy.. :p

My Robot pool cleaner climbs right straight up my pool walls and "almost" tries to climb right out of my pool.. I can't see a little thing like a slopping bottom being any kind of issue. I would not even buy a cleaner from a pool builder.. I would have them install a suction vacuum port in the side wall of the pool with an on/off Jandy valve at the pad.. Just in case you ever need it in the future... I would then buy my own robot.. Here is a good thread for you to read... Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

Thanks,

Jim R.

We discussed these points with the builder tonight, and we’ll be going with a SWCG and with a robot. Thank you!

S,

Just in case... make sure the SWCG is rated for at least 2 x the volume of your pool... for a 20K pool you will need a 40K SWCG... this is because salt cells are rated when running 24 hours a day.. something you might not want to do..

Also Jandy has some salt systems that also include Mineral cartridges... I suggest that you do not get that one..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.