Opinion on Gunite Pool maintenance

Aug 8, 2015
Hardeeville, South Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Looking at retirement in South Carolina and installing a gunite pool in backyard. Am I in for extra work?? Currently have a 14 x 28 Salt Water in New York which I find as pretty easy maintenance. I follow TFP and my water is always perfect. See a lot of post on algae with gunite, sore feet from friction (which I have not experienced at resorts) and expense on resurfacing. Thoughts?? Comments welcome as trying to understand what i am taking on in effrt

Reactions: Vukota12
Jim,

There is no difference in maintaining a gunite pool or liner pool... The main reason you had no problems with your current pool is that it was a saltwater pool and you were following TFP standards. Our standards work the same in all pools.

I suggest that you pick a surface that works best for you.. Some find that pebble is too rough for them.. I have mini-pebble and while not baby-rear smooth, I don't have any issues with it hurting my feet.. I recommend that you do research on what your new pool builder is offering by going out to actual pools that he has built, and not the tiny sample you can see in the showroom. Talk with the pool owners and see what they say..

Thanks,

Jim R.

• Love
Reactions: Jim's Pool
Algae does not give preference to plaster pools vs. fiberglass, vs vinyl. Algae attacks all equally if chlorine is not maintained at proper levels.
With regard to surfaces, it depends on what you select. The major brands offer a range of surfaces and normally have at least one of its products with very smooth surface - take note of my pool with Wet Edge Primera Stone. They polished it with hydraulic sanders after putting on the plaster. Very smooth and if I need to make it look new in 10 years they only need to drain and re-polish it. No need to chip and re-plaster.
Continue to follow the TFP methodology and you will have a great pool regardless and research various types of plaster that have smooth surfaces from day 1.

Jim is your pool salt as well.

Jim,

Yes, my pool is a saltwater pool and has been since it was built about 6 years ago. I love the feel of the water and the ease of maintenance..

I do not use Borax as I do not personally see the need, but it won't make any difference as far as the the gunite or the plaster goes..

Just so that we are all on the same page. The pool shape is made of a gunite shell, basically blown-in concrete. To make the shell watertight, the inside is coated with a layer of plaster. There are different types of plaster, but they all do the same job.. The plaster makes the pool pretty, provides the color and finish feel that you want, as well as keeping the pool leak proof.

Thanks,

Jim R.

It depends on what your comparing the Primera Stone to. My pool builder included in the cost of the pool the basic quartz plaster by Wet Edge which is Luna Quartz. For my 26,000 gallon pool and spa, the upcharge to Primera Stone was just over $8,000. Some pool builders include the pebble finish in their quote, if so the up charge would be half that or less.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.