shadylady23

Jul 18, 2007
Southwest NH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Hi everyone!

So my pool started turning green so I figured I should shock and work on opening it for the season. I accidentally used the “10000” pool volume in pool math and started messing things up right from the start. Estimating it’s more like 8100/8600. ?. But I’ve got my test, shocked way to high, but it’s coming back down now and I just got back from the store with some more baking soda to add and some more cya.

Here’s my numbers before shock last night. And then this morning. Sun is blazing now so I’m headed out to get that cya going.

Looking forward to happy summer days!

Attachments

• 1029D5B1-FB30-460A-9E0A-2768B08028F2.jpg
    1029D5B1-FB30-460A-9E0A-2768B08028F2.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 83
Update. Overnight FC held without any loss. Pool is still cloudy with dead algae though. Does that mean I should keep my levels high until it’s completely clear? And is there anything I can add to my pump to speed this up? So far I added a blob of filter floss into my skimmer with a nylon skimmer sock.

Thanks!

Update. Overnight FC held without any loss. Pool is still cloudy with dead algae though. Does that mean I should keep my levels high until it’s completely clear? And is there anything I can add to my pump to speed this up? So far I added a blob of filter floss into my skimmer with a nylon skimmer sock.

Thanks!
Yay another "small" pool owner (though we have a tiny pool, lol) :wave:

Start with a CYA Goal/target value of 10 or 20. So you don't overshoot it :)

What all have you put in it so far? :)

pool-sparkle

Which test kit are you using

Trying to attach my notes. Just a sec

- - - Updated - - -

Okay. So here’s a synopsis of what I did yesterday, with times, what it was this morning. I think I’m in okay shape? but it’s still cloudy.. grey like dead algae.

- - - Updated - - -

And yeah! We love it! Just got it last year and although it’s onlh 18’ it has a decent wall size and we dug the bottom a little so it’s pretty deep in the middle. I used to have a bigger pool years ago and I just didn’t want as much maintenance to deal with. :)

- - - Updated - - -

My original night I added 29 ounces of borax too. Which you can see on the beginning of my first note I posted. But I can’t find my PH kit now! I’m totally bummed! Maybe I’ll run out and see how my cya is panning out and my TA. I never did check CH yet at all.

Attachments

• A0709A66-26BF-4103-992E-891FB9397DAF.jpg
    A0709A66-26BF-4103-992E-891FB9397DAF.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 57
Okay. So here’s a synopsis of what I did yesterday, with times, what it was this morning. I think I’m in okay shape? but it’s still cloudy.. grey like dead algae.
With the CC's showing up, I agree, might need to up the FC

And yeah! We love it! Just got it last year and although it’s only 18’ it has a decent wall size and we dug the bottom a little so it’s pretty deep in the middle. I used to have a bigger pool years ago and I just didn’t want as much maintenance to deal with. :)
I'm curious about the longevity, but love that idea! Yeah the minimal maintenance is ideal!Though I still micro-manage ours (for fun!)

My original night I added 29 ounces of borax too. Which you can see on the beginning of my first note I posted. But I can’t find my PH kit now! I’m totally bummed! Maybe I’ll run out and see how my cya is panning out and my TA. I never did check CH yet at all
So remember to assume the (borates) are there when doing calculations in PoolMath
CYA could take up to a few days to show on the test. Also the test needs to be performed in well lit outdoor conditions if possible, for "truest" results :)

What are borates?

My FC was 13 last night and this morning. And my cya was maybe 10? I added more cya yesterday and I think it showed about 30 last night now.
I just tested my CH and it was either 25 or 50... 25 it first turned blue, but then after a min went back, so I added another drop and it was a darker blue. So idk.

TA is now 120. And no clue on PH since I lost my kit. :/.

Off to Home run derby with the kids right now but will be back on!

What are borates?
The borax that you added, it's a separate test, but they aren't "lost" except with backwashing/splashout.

My FC was 13 last night and this morning. And my cya was maybe 10? I added more cya yesterday and I think it showed about 30 last night now.
I just tested my CH and it was either 25 or 50... 25 it first turned blue, but then after a min went back, so I added another drop and it was a darker blue. So idk.
Good CYA level & great news on the FC :)
CH: Pool School - Calcium Hardness That sounds good for a vinyl pool! No calcium is needed for vinyl

TA is now 120. And no clue on PH since I lost my kit. :/.
TA is fine, hopefully you can find your PH test!

Off to Home run derby with the kids right now but will be back on!
Have a great time!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Should I do anything because that .50 CC showed up a couple times? Or is that low enough to not worry about? Should I keep it at Slam level still or let it drift down? I don’t know what to do next. :/. I’m going to go check and see what the filter got out for the dead floating algae today right now. It’s a painfully long process to filter all this!

Okay just retested FC and CC and it actually held the same for the day too! 13 FC and .50 CC. (Its cloudy today and I have the solar cover on)... That’s a good sign right? The water is still cloudy though. :/. I need to figure out a faster way to filter out that dead algae

Anything 0.5 or less is negligible. You still need time to clear the pool water and sand filters take longest, but it *will* get there. Just keep up the work.

Can you add a smidgeon of DE powder to your sand filter? That helps a lot at the very end.

Maddie :flower:

I have some food grade DE for the chickens, does it matter what kind?

- - - Updated - - -

Pardon me if this is rediculous, but wouldn’t the DE just end up going right through the filter since it’s so fine?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.