Opening up early to get conversion started

Day 2:
No change in color
Chlorine is still holding between 10-12ppm every time I’ve gone to add more.
pH: 7.2
TA: 80
Used Baquacil test strips for s&g to see where it was,
Oxidizer went from none to medium blue- assuming chlorine has an effect on that portion.
Sanitizer at or very near 0
Come on clear water.
F26740DF-A605-4549-B091-7C3162FC0F94.jpeg

Day 3: I can see the bottom step?

FC loss overnight was only 3ppm. Boosted it back up and gave a quick scrub and hit the bed (Night shift)
FC down to 2ppm 11 hours later which was expected. Dosed it back up and scrubbed again. The only noticeable goo was on the first day and there wasn’t much of anything at all really.
I’ll top it off again before heading into work and check back in the morning.
In hindsight I probably should have let the filter run for a few days before starting the process. At least it would have cleared up a good portion of the suspended matter. Oh well.
We’ll see what tomorrow brings.
2873A330-D671-452A-82EF-BCEC91DCA5F4.jpeg7EC6DD4D-9F10-4742-B290-739D37646F57.jpeg

Day 5: Finally looking like real progress!

Clarity is getting much better, still quite green but the process has been moving rather quickly. I can finally see what I need to vacuum. Still haven’t had any goo. Glad I waited to do the conversion at opening this year instead of September of last year.344F1E43-B896-4CDE-9521-0E1148E13195.jpeg

Reactions: Texas Splash
Morning of day 11:

FC dropped to 12.5 overnight. Staying the course. Four days of rain ahead so hopefully that doesn’t hurt as much as sunlight.
It looks like I’m still getting some deposits of Baqua settling on the steps and near the drain. Still nice and green. FEB64408-8F48-4645-9396-E829FF1A6F20.jpeg

Hunter, I know the Baqa conversion process can be tricky, exhausting, etc, but I don't recall if we asked this earlier in your thread. Have you ever had your water tested for metals (iron or copper)? You're not on a well are you? In this image, I see the reflection of the trees, but aside from that am I seeing the liner pattern below? I feel like i"m looking at fairly clear water, but an almost emerald green clear. Or is it just my view from the computer?

Hunter, I know the Baqa conversion process can be tricky, exhausting, etc, but I don't recall if we asked this earlier in your thread. Have you ever had your water tested for metals (iron or copper)? You're not on a well are you? In this image, I see the reflection of the trees, but aside from that am I seeing the liner pattern below? I feel like i"m looking at fairly clear water, but an almost emerald green clear. Or is it just my view from the computer?
Yeah the water is actually really clear. I haven’t had it tested for metals and I’m on county water.

Well, chlorine can interfere with metals testing, but if you are able with this whole COVID mess, grab a sample of water from both the pool and the source and have them tested. I'd be very curious to see if they show an elevated metal content. I'm guessing as a previous Baquacil user, you never added anything else to the water right? No algacides or anything?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, chlorine can interfere with metals testing, but if you are able with this whole COVID mess, grab a sample of water from both the pool and the source and have them tested. I'd be very curious to see if they show an elevated metal content. I'm guessing as a previous Baquacil user, you never added anything else to the water right? No algacides or anything?
The only algacide was zinc sulfate monohydrate. I haven’t added that since the end of last season.

Hard to say, but the circumstances do make iron a distinct possibility. I'm not sure if peroxide precipitates iron. If it doesn't then it could have built up in the water until now when the first dose of chlorine hit.

@HunterS Do you get rust stains on your fixtures in the house?

Hard to say, but the circumstances do make iron a distinct possibility. I'm not sure if peroxide precipitates iron. If it doesn't then it could have built up in the water until now when the first dose of chlorine hit.

@HunterS Do you get rust stains on your fixtures in the house?
No rust stains on anything in the house. I’ll head out shortly and do full work up on where everything is. I work nights so I’m easily able to top off in the mornings and then monitor in the evenings and top off again before heading to work.

That's looking more metal related every day. At the moment it isn't harming the conversion, so I would just keep at it until you see the conversion through to completion.

Once the conversion is complete and you're running normally we can help you ID and tackle this. Just don't want to start anything during the conversion that could throw it off. Also it is possible that once you add the CYA the lower active chlorine might cause the metal to go back to solution, which would more or less solve the problem.

As far as the conversion goes, unless someone disagrees, I would consider being able to clearly see the bottom of the deep end as "clear" given the circumstances.

Reactions: HunterS

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.