Opening up a Salt water pool

May 3, 2021
NYC
Hi. This is my first year opening my salt water pool (12x24:10,000 gallons of water). There is plenty of algae in the pool; pretty much coating my whole floor. I opened it today and I'm currently just cycling the water (not filtering it through the earth filter) and I've added 2lbs of shock.

Questions:
1) Is there any issue with adding the salt bags now? It can only help since it's needed by the system to create chlorine, correct? Or is there a reason why I should hold off on this?
2) Will I actually see the floor clear up (the green go away) as the algae is getting killed by the chlorine/shock? Or will the shock just kill the algae, but then I have to vacuum the floor to get rid of that green?

Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

1) Is there any issue with adding the salt bags now?
No. You can add salt anytime if it's actually need and confirmed. More salt doesn't equate to more chlorine.

2) Will I actually see the floor clear up (the green go away) as the algae is getting killed by the chlorine/shock? Or will the shock just kill the algae, but then I have to vacuum the floor to get rid of that green?
Using liquid chlorine and a proper test kit, you need to follow the SLAM Process. Follow that page carefully and you'll take care of it. No shortcuts through with the process or water testing. If you have any questions let us know.

Using liquid chlorine and a proper test kit, you need to follow the SLAM Process. Follow that page carefully and you'll take care of it. No shortcuts through with the process or water testing. If you have any questions let us know.
OK, but, as I follow the SLAM, will I actually see the floor clear up (the green go away) as the algae is getting killed by the chlorine/shock? Or will the shock just kill the algae, but then I have to vacuum the floor to get rid of that green?

OK, but, as I follow the SLAM, will I actually see the floor clear up (the green go away) as the algae is getting killed by the chlorine/shock? Or will the shock just kill the algae, but then I have to vacuum the floor to get rid of that green?
Your filter will get it. Watch your filter pressure. When your filter pressure rises 25% above clean pressure, you will need to backwash or clean your DE filter (one of the downside of DE is when you have to SLAM).

Reactions: SpicyMeatball96
UPDATE: After a few days of shocking and scrubbing the walls/floor, my pool has cleared up a lot! However, I am noticing that the Salt Water Generator (SWG) is hardly producing any chlorine even though I have it on a high level. Could it be because there is not enough salt in the water? I added five 40lb bags of salt to the water when I opened it on May 21. The "low on salt" light on the SWG is NOT turned on like it was when i first opened the pool. I got a salt level strip test that read 3850ppm. Should it be higher for a pool that has roughly 10,000 gallons of water?

Thanks!

You really need to get a good test kit, one that includes a drop salt test. Until you know your real salt, you are shooting blind. Get one. Link-->Test Kits Compared

I wouldn't do anything with adding salt until you get a good test kit. Ask me how I know.

What is your CYA? Again you need a good test kit so you can test CYA.

My guess is that your CYA is low, and your salt cell is small for your pool, so it has to work really hard.

What is the make and model and cell size of your salt water chlorine generator?

Still waiting on a reply to my post here.
We can help, but need this info first.

Also suggest you review:
Pool Care Basics
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
SLAM Process
FC/CYA Levels

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.