Opening to a green swamp EVERY year

Never heard of it...is that something used as part of the chlorine system? When closing, I just use the regular maintenance dose of baquacil algaecide. It's the same every season....green with whole bunches of worms on the bottom. First thing I do once the circulation system is running is to vacuum (with no DE grids) just to get up as much of the debris / worms / other unknown but really stinky stuff. Usually 3 times around the pool. Then I'll add the grids and DE and start the baqua chemicals.
It is a non-metallic algicide suitable for use in a chlorine pool to reduce the risk of algae forming. Many members here use it as added insurance during their closing.

The Baqua algicide looks to be Ammonia based; built for their system and not suitable in a chlorine pool.

I have a loop-loc cover and have learned to grab a case of shock and use a funnel with semi-rigid hose squeezed under the cover to dump a couple gallons in late March, when the pool is still crazy-cold. Preventing that initial algae grab is key. By the time I open in May there's usually a little bit of desperate algae trying to get established but in goes another couple gallons of shock and it's dead by the following day.

Never add chemicals without the ability to properly mix them into the pool, either with a pump running or a vigorous brushing of the pool

Does not make it safe to do
Why? If the chemical is fully dissolved, what danger does it pose to the water or plaster? I can see if somebody dumps in granular stuff that sits on the bottom (or falls out of solution). Taking a pH measurement following the addition does adjust as desired. Of course, I can't guarantee that I'd get the same result were I to take a sample from the shallow (still covered) portion, but...I feel peace of mind for getting the SI back in a safer non-etching or non-scaling zone.

TFPC will not endorse adding chemicals without the ability to mix it into the water column.
Makes sense. My builder actually is the one who suggested it back when he renovated in '14. Prior to that, I never checked any chemical levels during the off-season. But then the plaster on the bottom of the pool, prior to renovating, started to increasingly resemble a coral reef moreso than a swimming pool, so it was all good. Kinda like a car that's already pretty dinged up...a few more doesn't make much difference.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The member I was responding to has a liner pool.
Again - you can do as you please. TFPC will not endorse adding chemicals without the ability to mix it into the water column.
I understand the stance but with the funnel and semi-rigid tubing, the liquid chlorine is jettisoned into the pool several feet away from the liner and in liquid form it is dispersed fairly quickly & doesn't settle like a solid or powder. I move the hose to different quadrants of the pool, running about 1/2 gallon in each corner section.

Your comment did give me pause, and I think from now on I'll run the garden hose forcefully down the funnel/tube after each application, to give the chlorine some agitation once it's in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.