Opening Question

Aug 25, 2018
Lancaster, OH
We build last year. An opening and closing was included in the package. Did a good job closing from what I can tell. Well, with the COVID mess going on, our pool store is closed.
They have no idea when they will be able to do the opening at this time. Since, I didn't want to wait too long, how difficult is it to open?
From what I have read/watched, it appears that opening requires hooking the equipment back up, removing the winter plugs, cleaning anything in the pool (seen crystal clear water from others using TFP method, hoping mine is clear. TFP all all last season). Anything else I should know?
As for my pool opening with the package, hoping I can trade it for a closing this season :)

You have the right idea. Take a look at the following link for additional info. A lot of people open their own pool.s. Let us know if you have any questions.

Monday, Tues and Wed you have average temps of about 60. Wed was the hottest at 69 for the high. If the pool stays covered it probably won’t warm up to 60 degrees in just 3 days. After that it gets cooler again and you are only having highs in the 50s through the 17th.

the algae you are seeing is probably from last year and most likely still dormant. As long as you go after it before the water gets around 60, it will be an easier battle whether that’s this weekend or in 2 weeks.

Also, if your cover is green, it can really reflect in the water when you ‘take a peek’. Mine has fooled me several times as I start to open and the water magically turns blue once the cover is 1/3 or more off. Most years I have the same funk starting to grow where the stairs meets the liner. A quick scrub and the newly treated water does it’s thing. It’s very possible your water is fine but you won’t know until you pull the whole cover.

Cover is blue. Figured the algae was post-closing last Oct. It was still relatively warm in Oct and Nov. Fighting with the wife to open soon. She'd rather the pool installer do it since this pool is only a year old and I've never opened before :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
full

Today, I can see the bottom of my pool from my 2nd story window with no problem. It's as clear as it was last summer!
CC was <0.5 yesterday
Unfortunately, I ran out of 0871 (I think that was the number) for my FC/CC testing yesterday :( Got more on the way
So, to be safe, I still have my SWGC running at boost levels. Once, I can test again, I'll verify step 3 of SLAM the 1 or less FC loss overnight
Keeping a close watch on that water, though

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.