Opening question with algae on steps

kjfin

Sep 26, 2019
Ohio
I just opened the inground pool for the season again and I need some advice. The water in the pool itself was super clear from the closing process from last year. The walk in steps had greenish (probably algae) on them that got brushed into the pool immediately and the pool became cloudy. The SLAM process has already started. My question is, how do I prevent the steps from growing algae on them during the winter season? What I assume is happening is the water level being drained low as normal allowing very little (if any at all) water on the middle step and none at all on the top step. Then, any rain or debris that goes through the winter cover sits dormant on the steps in basically an unchlorinated state allowing that algae to grow causing the SLAM process as soon as the cover is removed. Again, the pool itself was clear for the most part with the exception of the typical winter dirt, worms, etc.

Thank you

My question is, how do I prevent the steps from growing algae on them during the winter season?
There is no perfect remedy. Even the most seasoned pool owners who close each winter have times where the green monster slipped in. You do the best you can with pre-closing chemistry before locking it down, but there are sometimes variable outside your control. The most obvious thing I see in this scenario, commendable really, is that you ID'd the issue right away and have already implemented the SLAM Process to remedy it as soon as possible. TFP perfect. :goodjob:

Reactions: kjfin
There is no perfect remedy. Even the most seasoned pool owners who close each winter have times where the green monster slipped in. You do the best you can with pre-closing chemistry before locking it down, but there are sometimes variable outside your control. The most obvious thing I see in this scenario, commendable really, is that you ID'd the issue right away and have already implemented the SLAM Process to remedy it as soon as possible. TFP perfect. :goodjob:
Thank you for your help and taking the time to answer my question! 👍

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.