Opening Pool

Megarms

Dec 23, 2017
Eldersburg, MD
I buy my calcium and CYA from Amazon (puritech) early. The $2 a lb is too good to pass up and I'm covered for at least most of the season with the large bags, if I don't need it all at first.
OK. I am finally getting around to opening this pool. Went to order some CYA from Amazon and can not find anything shy of $2 / lb.

Do you have a link to the stuff your referring to?

OK. I am finally getting around to opening this pool. Went to order some CYA from Amazon and can not find anything shy of $2 / lb.
Puritech appears out of stock everywhere at the moment. RX clear and Robellele(sp?) are ok and won't break the bank. The last 2 years Amazon suggested the winter sale on Puritech and I jumped on it in Dec/Jan.

Ok. Opened my pool on Monday. Water was crystal clear. Got my FC up to 5ppm this morning and then tested. Here are my results.

The CYA test seems so arbitrary that it makes me feel as if my am doing something wrong. I am somewhere between 60 - 100. At 60 I can’t see the dot or even its outline. At 100 I can just barely see it.

Only thing I have done since testing was to put in a half gallon tank f muriatic acid. How long do I wait until retest? Any other recommendations?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    785.3 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    870.4 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    727.2 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Newdude
Puritech appears out of stock everywhere at the moment. RX clear and Robellele(sp?) are ok and won't break the bank. The last 2 years Amazon suggested the winter sale on Puritech and I jumped on it in Dec/Jan.

FC - 5
CC - 0
PH - 8.5+
TA - 110
CH - 300
CYA 60 (or 100 - I am having a really tough time with this test)
Salt - 3250

I put a gallon of muriatic acid in this morning and another one just about an hour ago.

Any advice on the CYA test would be appreciated. At 60, I can not see the dot or even its outline. I can barely make it out at 100. Thats a big swing. Help please.

When you do the CYA test, try this next time.

Once you have your solution ready, back to the sun, etc. Fill the vial to a line, say 80, lower the vial to your waist level and glance for the dot, you see it, add solution to the 70 line, glance, see it, repeat until you no longer see it with a glance. Then use the CYA value one step above the line you read. So if you stopped at 50, use 60 ppm CYA.

The vial is a non linear scale. So it is not reasonable to interpolate between the lines. Just use the whole numbers, such as 50, 40, 30, ....

Reactions: Newdude