Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2016
Cookeville Tn
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi, so I’m ready to open the pool. It has a pretty big algae. My numbers when I tested are: FC-1(it was very faintly pink-I gave it a 1-could be less); Cal H-50; Alk 40; CYA- filled tube all the way to top of tube and could still see circle. PH was off the tube colorwise (I estimated it at 10). I have vacuumed to waste once. So I’m figuring I need to slam it but because of CYA situation don’t hardly know how to figure how much of what to add... any recommendation would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Don't be discouraged by the algae. My pool is green every opening but is crystal clear within a couple days following SLAM instructions. Use muriatic acid to bring your PH down to 7.2-7.5, add enough stabilizer to bring your CYA to 30, then start adding the liquid chlorine/bleach to bring and keep at shock level.
As for how much of everything to add, I prefer the old school PoolMath calculator found here: PoolMath . Be sure to enter your pool size in the first box.

Reactions: Patcoomer
Don't be discouraged by the algae. My pool is green every opening but is crystal clear within a couple days following SLAM instructions. Use muriatic acid to bring your PH down to 7.2-7.5, add enough stabilizer to bring your CYA to 30, then start adding the liquid chlorine/bleach to bring and keep at shock level.
As for how much of everything to add, I prefer the old school PoolMath calculator found here: PoolMath . Be sure to enter your pool size in the first box.

Well, I’m 1 wk, 5 days into my SLAM activity (from 13th when I added Muriatic Acid to bring PH down and Stabilizer to bring CYA up). I have seen significant (actually better than significant) progress. The water is maintaining a sorta of cloudy look and the straight up and down sides have a yellow tinge to hem. I brush them but the color remains. I really want to have the pool able to be used this weekend and for sure on Mon (May 31). Here are my nos. from yesterday and so far today. Just wondering if there’s anything else I could/should be doing to help this along. Thanks for any advice/help. I’m going to try to upload a couple of pics that I snapped this morning. The second pic is of the deep end....

Attachments

• 6E0B2F5A-56D9-4F69-980F-664EDE8372A7.jpeg
    6E0B2F5A-56D9-4F69-980F-664EDE8372A7.jpeg
    588.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 39DACE21-ECB2-4330-9D0B-0451245B838A.jpeg
    39DACE21-ECB2-4330-9D0B-0451245B838A.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Well, I’m 1 wk, 5 days into my SLAM activity (from 13th when I added Muriatic Acid to bring PH down and Stabilizer to bring CYA up. I have seen significant (actually better than significant) progress. The water is maintaining a sorta of cloudy look and the straight up and down sides have a yellow tinge to hem. I brush them but the color remains. I really want to have the pool able to be used this weekend and fir sure in Mon (May 31). Here are my nos. from yesterday and so far today. Just wondering if there’s anything else I could/should be doing to help this along. Thanks for any advice/help. I’m going to try to upload a couple of pics that I snapped this morning. The second pic is of the deep end....
9 5/24 5:30 am (2 qts, 13 ozs)

11.5 5/24 2 pm (13 oz added)

10.5 5/24 7pm (51 oz added)

10 5/25 6 am (51 oz added)
My readings that I failed to post above...

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.