clem1985

Apr 28, 2021
oklahoma
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This is my first post here, really liking the sight. Been reading through the information on Pool School. It's been a big help. Last year I just winged it with pucks and "shock" blindly. Needless to say it didn't work out very well. Didn't close pool properly at all, which brings me to now.

Opened pool, 3 dead squirrels, leaves, swamp green etc. This was before finding this site. So I drained the pool as far as possible, refilled. Used several bags of HTH super shock which I found out was the wrong thing to do. Luckily it wasn't dichlor or trichlor. Although the green went away it's now a very whitish blue. I guess possible from calcium chloride in the water? This brings me to now.

I've since stopped the hth powder and now have 10% liquid bleach. Have bought test strips which I know are inaccurate, have the taylor 2006 test kit on the way by this sunday Sunday.

The test strips showed ph 6.8-7.2. cya is 0 I'm not sure that's accurate, although I did drain and refill so I assume it probably could be. So assuming 0 cya I did add 2 lbs. In a sock of cya which by the calculator should be about 40cya. Been keeping the chlorine based on 0 cya at 10. Should I continue this until I get the test kit in?

Last edited:
Hi and welcome! It seems like you have quite a bit going on here. Firstly, can you please let us know pool size, and list all the equipment you have installed. You can then put it in your signature so it is available anytime you ask a question. Let's not put anything into the pool until we get some more info from you😁

Reactions: clem1985
Welcome! :wave: Yes, until you get the K-2006, just do your best to keep the FC programmed at about 5-10 ppm. That's a fairly large window and impossible to do with test strips, but use the PoolMath APP to add the estimated amount of chlorine each day until the kit arrives. Once the kit arrives, you can expect to perform a SLAM Process accurately, so you should read-up on that process if you haven't already. Have a good day.

Hi and welcome! It seems like you have quite a bit going on here. Firstly, can you please let us know pool size, and list all the equipment you have installed. You can then put it in your signature so it is available anytime you ask a question. Let's not put anything into the pool until we get some more info from you😁
Thanks for the replay, I thought I did add it to my signature. I'll have to fix that.

Welcome! :wave: Yes, until you get the K-2006, just do your best to keep the FC programmed at about 5-10 ppm. That's a fairly large window and impossible to do with test strips, but use the PoolMath APP to add the estimated amount of chlorine each day until the kit arrives. Once the kit arrives, you can expect to perform a SLAM Process accurately, so you should read-up on that process if you haven't already. Have a good day.
Thanks, that's what I figured. And will continue to do so.

Finally received my Taylor test kit in here are the results: 6.5 fc, ,33-35 ppm 34 avg. CYA, 7.0ph, 70 ppm TA, 130 ppm CH.

Is the CH high? I'm not sure what's considered high ppm for CH.

Based on CYA 34, calculator says SLAM FC should be 13. So I'm going to raise from current 6.5 to 13 and maintain 13.

Since I added stabilizer early in the week in a sock. Should I wait and test one more time to make sure the CYA hasn't gone up? Seem the entire amount has dissolved out of the sock.

I'm starting to faintly see the bottom of the pool now.

Round up your CYA reading to the next whole 10's -- so you have a 40 CYA. SLAM level FC is 16ppm.

I would give it a week and then retest CYA just to check.

Maintain that 16 ppm FC until you pass all three criteria!! Good Job!

Round up your CYA reading to the next whole 10's -- so you have a 40 CYA. SLAM level FC is 16ppm.

I would give it a week and then retest CYA just to check.

Maintain that 16 ppm FC until you pass all three criteria!! Good Job!
What is good range for CH?

Brought up to 16 and will maintain it. I need to reread about the 3 criteria.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Brought fc up to 16 at 10:30 didn't get to test again till 5:30 at it dropped to 13 so it's starting to hold well. Added 2 cups and 6oz of bleach to bring to 16 again.

Reactions: mknauss
If I don't have time to testfc in the morning before work, should I estimate the amount of FC until I can test after work?
No as you need to really see what the FC has done compared to the day before. Teach someone else in the household how to test and then guide them as to what to add OR grab a water sample and test kit, take it with you and test wherever you are. Hopefully someone home can add the chlorine so you don't lose the slam progress.

No as you need to really see what the FC has done compared to the day before. Teach someone else in the household how to test and then guide them as to what to add OR grab a water sample and test kit, take it with you and test wherever you are. Hopefully someone home can add the chlorine so you don't lose the slam progress.
I think I'll have to try and take a sample with me to do it. Sounds like a plan.

Although I didn't get to test this morning before work and just guessed (I have a better plan) based on yesterday's testing added 2.5 cups of bleach. I finally got to test and FC was at 13 which is what it did yesterday after 8 hours. So this is promising. I added 2 cups 5 oz of bleach. After the test for 16 FC again. Pool was even clearer today. Starting to see the bottom more clearly by the day.

Last edited:
Log:
5/3/21 - last test of day (Time 5:30pm) FC-13 (11hr: 16 down to 13) 3 ppm drop - Added 2 cups 5oz - Pool was much clearer. Still cloudy, but could see bottom better. Raked leaves that I could see and brushed.
5/4/21 - Test time 6:00AM - FC12.5 (Heavy rains all night) (13 hr: 16-12.5) 3.5 ppm drop - Added 3 cups 1oz

Well the rain is partly to blame but unless you get all visible organics out of the water you will keep losing. You also still need to brush throughly twice daily, a key ingredient of winning slam.
Since the water is becoming just clear enough to be able to see some stuff on the bottom, Yesterday not only did I brush, but I also Raked out quite a bit of leaves off the bottom of the pull. This along with brushing stirred up quite a bit of stuff that has settled. I would vacuum but up to now I really couldn't see what I would be vacuuming

Log. 5:30pm heavy rain and thunderstorm all day: 11.5 fc 4.5 ppm drop. Added 2 quarts of bleach.

8:30 pm last test of day:No rain in forecast the rest of the night. 19fc

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.