opening pool lost half my water??

May 18, 2015
pittsburgh pa
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Pennsylvania AGP, we had alot of rain over the winter, pumped off as much as i could.

Took cover off today and i'd say almost half my water is gone.... What are my next steps? How do i find out if i have a leak? i thought maybe it leaked out the skimmer, but water level is well below that at this point. Or just filler up?

BTW, no swampy areas in the yard which i'd expect if it was a leak.

Well, no doubt the water found a way out even if everything looks dry. :hammer: Since your system was off, that rules out some areas that you might consider above ground. Generally when water leaks out and stops at a certain point, that indicates the leak is right about at that new waterline level. So now is where you inspect very carefully around every spot in the waterline for anything suspicious. If you have a light fixture at that waterline, check behind it (inside niche. If you have seams, look very closely at those as well. If the water stopped at the return jets, it could be around the fitting or the return plumbing itself. So it's all a matter of careful process of elimination. Take your time and good luck.

Could you have had piles of snow and ice on top that would push the cover down and force water out of the pool?

This always happens to my pool in PA. Fill her up and get it running. You more than likely experienced water displacement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.