Opening pool for the Summer

Jruth1026

May 29, 2020
Danielson, Connecticut
Hey All,

I am brand new to these forums and had a few questions:

I am about to start the "SLAM" process and was looking at my water test. See Below.

Pool:
26730 Gallons
Non - SWG
Vinyl Lined

FC - .29
PH - 7.4
CH - 105
Calcium - 104
TA - 60
CYA - 5

My CYA is very low and i am going to have to put in about 8lbs to get it to 40ppm. In doing so I am going to see a significant decrease in my PH by .7

My question is should I increase PH prior to adding stabilizer or take a reading after my stabilizer addition?

Also looking at my end game totals my CSI has a possibility of corroding plaster which I have above my pool liner. Should I adjust CH accordingly to bring it in a healthy range? and if so before or after slamming?

I am relatively new to the pool game and looking for some advise.

Welcome to the forum!
How did you obtain those test results?
IF you did them with your own test kit, then the pH is fine, CYA needs to be raised to 30 ppm, and CH needs to be raised to 250 ppm.
If you are going to SLAM, you need a proper test kit.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Test was performed with a Taylor k2006 kit I just got in.

PH is in good range now, but to get my CYA to 30ppm its going to decrease by .6 putting my under where I want to be correct? Once i start SLAMing i wont be able to test for PH so thats why i was wondering if i should raise it prior or after adding stabilizer to put me back in the 7.6 range before Slaming the pool

Those test results are not possible with a K2006.

Do not worry about the expected pH drop from the CYA. It will rise during your SLAM.

I would not make any decisions on the tests from a pool store. Wait on your own kit.

CH can be done now or later. Long term it is an issue. So add it when you can.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.