Opening Pool, Everything Low, Where to start?

Scotland

Oct 1, 2019
Memphis, TN
Hi all.
I have a 25k gallon saltwater pool, details in my signature.
I am getting a new filter installed tomorrow then I will need to start fixing the water.
It is currently green so I know I need to SLAM it, but is that what I should do first? What should I balance after that?

Current test results;
FC - 0
CC - 0
pH - 6.8
TA - 20
CH - 25
CYA - 0
Salt - 800

Thanks for your advice.

Edit: I should also add that the pool is very full, so am I best removing a lot of water before I start?

So from what I have read this is the order I should do things;

1. Add 2lbs, 9oz of baking soda. This will raise my pH by 0.4 to the recommended level of 7.2. It will also raise my TA by 12.
  2. Add 5 gallons of instant pool water conditioner. This will raise my CYA by 75, which is the recommended level.
  3. Add 14lbs of baking soda. This will raise my TA by 38, to the recommended level of 70.
  4. SLAM the pool then balance the FC.
  5. Add 600lbs of salt, to raise it to the recommended level of 3600.
Does that sound right to you all?
Do I need to do step 3 before step 4?

Thanks.

Hey Scotland !!! Steps 1 and 3 are conflicting as the baking soda will increase the PH even more in step 3 like it did in step 1. So combine 1 and 3 to just raise the TA. Lower your PH to 7.2 after with MA.

In the future you want 20 mule Borax (laundry aisle at grocery store, sold in a box) to raise the PH without adding much to the TA.

You do not want regular season CYA(salt based) for SLAM. It will require much more chlorine to do the same thing. Target a 20-30 CYA until the SLAM is over, then raise it to salt level.

So :

1) add baking soda for TA
2) add MA for 7.2 PH
3) 20 to 30 ppm CYA
4) SLAM Process Emphasis on M. Maintain. Test/add every 2 hours at first.
5) add 75% of your salt and go from there. It does not come out without draining. Do not overshoot target. :)
6) add calcium chloride to get CH over 100. Some like 150.

Also, my IC60 worked awsome at 2800-3000 ppm salt. We usually couldn't taste it. It's only a little tiny bit if you can, but we usually didn't even have that. As long as the unit says you have enough salt, there is no need to add more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scotland
Hey Scotland !!! Steps 1 and 3 are conflicting as the baking soda will increase the PH even more in step 3 like it did in step 1. So combine 1 and 3 to just raise the TA. Lower your PH to 7.2 after with MA.

In the future you want 20 mule Borax (laundry aisle at grocery store, sold in a box) to raise the PH without adding much to the TA.

You do not want regular season CYA(salt based) for SLAM. It will require much more chlorine to do the same thing. Target a 20-30 CYA until the SLAM is over, then raise it to salt level.

So :

1) add baking soda for TA
2) add MA for 7.2 PH
3) 20 to 30 ppm CYA
4) SLAM Process Emphasis on M. Maintain. Test/add every 2 hours at first.
5) add 75% of your salt and go from there. It does not come out without draining. Do not overshoot target. :)
6) add calcium chloride to get CH over 100. Some like 150.

Also, my IC60 worked awsome at 2800-3000 ppm salt. We usually couldn't taste it. It's only a little tiny bit if you can, but we usually didn't even have that. As long as the unit says you have enough salt, there is no need to add more.

Sorry, in step 1 I meant adding 2bls 9oz of soda ash/washing soda, to raise both pH and TA.
Pool math suggests that the 14lbs of baking soda will only raise my pH by 0.1?

Thoughts?

Thoughts?
Pool math is WAY smarter than me. Do what it says. :)

But. Click on the hamburger menu on the left upper corner and do effects of adding for the baking soda (for step 3 / TA). It will raise the PH also and may not need the soda ash afterwards.

Reactions: Scotland
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.