Opening Pool - Cloudy Water

orangepower10

Jul 13, 2019
Sulphur, Oklahoma
Our water is cloudy. We've had the pool for 2.5 years and its the first time I've seen it this way. Its 27,000 gallons and saltwater. The water has just gotten above 60 degrees today so I don't think our SWG has been producing chlorine when the pump has been running. I added to 2 gallons of muriatic acid over 2 days and 2 one pound bags of shock. The FC jumped to 8 after shock was added but 24 hours later is at .5. That was somewhat effective in clearing up some of the cloudiness but it's still not completely clear. 24 hours later the current levels are:

PH - 7.4
FC - .5
TA - 140
CYA - I tried using the Taylor test kit but the black dot never disappeared which I assume means the levels are less than 30.
Water Temp is 62.

Can anyone help on what should be done to try and clear it up? Is there a chance my SWG just isn't producing chlorine?

Follow the SLAM Process

Start by adding 20 ppm worth of CYA granules via the sock method. Raise your FC to SLAM level for a CYA of 30 ppm. Test your CYA again 24 hours after all is dissolved from the sock.

thanks for the reply. If I’m understanding correctly, I’ll need approximately 4 pounds of stabilizer via the sock method and 397 ounces of chlorine (10%) to raise from .5 fc to 12 which is the recommended slam level. should I wait until stabilizer has dissolved to add chlorine?

Attachments

• 3AE3AAE4-A9EA-43AB-A6E2-76D528B9548E.jpeg
    3AE3AAE4-A9EA-43AB-A6E2-76D528B9548E.jpeg
    588.5 KB · Views: 13
  • A2B409ED-1D6F-4939-8A3D-AC7DBA02A87D.jpeg
    A2B409ED-1D6F-4939-8A3D-AC7DBA02A87D.jpeg
    541.5 KB · Views: 13
Those are the correct amounts.

Once the stabilizer is dissolving, add the chlorine. Test FC every hour or two and add liquid chlorine to get back to 12 ppm.

I see 'pH Down' in your picture. Do NOT use that product. Sulfates will build in your water and destroy your SWCG. Use muriatic acid if pH needs to be lowered. Your initial pH of 7.4 is fine to perform the SLAM Process

Reactions: arvil
Those are the correct amounts.

Once the stabilizer is dissolving, add the chlorine. Test FC every hour or two and add liquid chlorine to get back to 12 ppm.
Stabilizer doesn’t seem to be dissolving within the shirt in the skimmer. Should it take 24 hours or so to dissolve? It’s not advisable to pour into the deep end? Free chlorine did jump up to 13 with 3 gallons of chlorine. Here’s what it looked like when I started.

Attachments

• 00A9EE6D-A4E3-4341-8BF7-F1AF9C557A1D.jpeg
    00A9EE6D-A4E3-4341-8BF7-F1AF9C557A1D.jpeg
    677.7 KB · Views: 27
Depending on water temperature it may take a while for the stabilizer to dissolve. Do not pour into pool. It will stain the pool surface.

You can use that. Is it a full gallon? That will add 15 ppm of CYA to your pool volume.
It is best to add that to the skimmer with pump on. You will have to wash out the bottle multiple times to get all the material out. Then wait a few days to test the CYA level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just for my knowledge, why is pouring it into the skimmer more beneficial?
Because the solids in it will settle on your pool liner and stain it. Putting it into the skimmer will let the filter capture those solids. Better is to pour it through a skimmer sock or other fine mesh over the skimmer basket capturing the solids there and letting them dissolve.

I’ve been keeping the chlorine levels at 12 since Monday. It did help some but the water still looks cloudy to me. I did the overnight chlorine loss test and it went from 14.5 to 14. Could there be another issue as to why it’s not clearing up?

I put in 4 pounds of stabilizer and a gallon of liquid stabilizer. Test strips still show a 0 level on cya.

Attachments

• 2B955FA0-68F0-4698-905D-BB92E710C381.jpeg
    2B955FA0-68F0-4698-905D-BB92E710C381.jpeg
    496 KB · Views: 12
  • 587A62A1-EB5C-4550-AE15-042A76857C36.jpeg
    587A62A1-EB5C-4550-AE15-042A76857C36.jpeg
    349.3 KB · Views: 12
I’ve been keeping the chlorine levels at 12 since Monday. It did help some but the water still looks cloudy to me. I did the overnight chlorine loss test and it went from 14.5 to 14. Could there be another issue as to why it’s not clearing up?
Great on the Test. To pass SLAM, you need to pass OCLT, have clear water and have CC <=.5. I would keep up the slam. It is likely that it will just take more time. Sand filters take the longest to clear of all the filters. Keep going, you'll get there. Also, run your tiger shark a bunch it will pick up a bunch of stuff, and it will keep more water circulating and getting to the filter.
I put in 4 pounds of stabilizer and a gallon of liquid stabilizer. Test strips still show a 0 level on cya.
Test strips go bad. If you added enough to get some CYA, forget about it for now, order reagent and test when you get it back. You'll be fine. The TF kits have bigger bottles of the CYA reagent.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.