Marlboro New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
Our pool was newly built last year. When we opened up the pool 2 days ago I found lots of these crystals. I just ordered some Muriatic Acid from Home Depot so I haven't picked it up yet.

Is the best method to get rid of this an acid wash of some kind. Does a professional have to come in?

When we closed last year the water was balanced.

Thank you in advance for your help and expertise.

Attachments

• 20200507_133311.jpg
    20200507_133311.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 20200507_153650.jpg
    20200507_153650.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 30
Is the best method to get rid of this an acid wash of some kind.
They look man-made to me. I can't tell how much you have but I would simply manually vac them into the filter and then back wash the filter.

Let us know if they reappear but I doubt it.

Do you think its coming out of our plaster? We had a Cobalt Quartz finish.

I thought it might be some calcium buildup over the winter. It looks like I got the same thing as this original poster of this thread has.

I changed out 2 bags of my polaris cleaner and its still picking up when I run it. As I continue vacuuming it's less.

Actually I just found this article on the web after re-opened this thread and posted my issue.

Last edited:
Hello,

I had the pool professionally closed last year. All the number were in-line before we closed.

We just opened up our pool 3 days ago and we found lots of carbonate crystals which we continue to vacuum up. That’s good.

But I’m now finding out that there’s lots of carbonate crystals stuck on the surfaces of the plaster.

Well, I’m assuming its all over because its all over the steps and the surface is prickly sharp and hard. You definitely won’t be able to walk on it barefoot.

My question is there anything I can I do to remove these things from the surface or will a professional have to come in to do something.

Since my pool was newly built last year could it be that the plaster was bad?

Thank you in advance.

Current Numbers
PH 8.6+
CH 300
TA 110
CYA 60
FC 0
TC
CC
Salt 3000
Temp 58 degrees

Honestly, I think I would be more concerned at the lack of FC and the high pH. Might be best to get the water balanced and then look at the possible calcium issue after your chemicals are balanced.

Did you let the pool mix well before taking those readings?

Treat the pH of "8.6+" as pH 8.0 and add enough acid to lower the pH to 7.4 or 7.5 - retest about 30 minutes after adding the acid and if still above 8.0, do the above again. Continue doing that until you get a pH reading of 8.0 or less (7.2-7.8). Be careful not to overshoot the acid additions.

Add enough liquid chlorine to get the FC to about 6 - you can do this first or between acid additions... basicallywait about 15 minutes between adding acid and adding chlorine. Do not rely on your SWG to get the chlorine up quickly - use liquid chlorine.

Save some of the crystals, place afew in a plastic container and add a few drops of acid. Let us know if they fizz a bunch. Doing an acid wash will reduce the life of your plaster.

Just to follow up:

Yes the crystals/flakes does fizz when I pour muriatic acid on it.

My chemistry is as follows:

ph 7.8
ch 375
ta 80
fc 4.5
cc 0
cya 85
salt 2800 - Will be adding.
pool temp is 58
csi -0.21

In regards to the scaling on the surface. I went to the pool store and they were telling me to use The Magenta Stuff or Scaletec Pro and then a lot of brushing. The scaletec could be a problem because I will have to lower the chlorine level for it to work which is a problem as it gets warmer and kids are already anxious to swim.

Is it possible if the water temp gets warmer the scale will come off with brushing alone?

20200513_111105.jpg

Use 90 for your CYA as 85 is not possible to read accurately. And treat the pool as a non-SWG pool until the SWG is running reliably. So minimum FC is 7 and target is 10-12. Be aware, at FC above 10, the pH test is not reliable - so let FC drop below 10 and test/adjust pH, then dose FC to target.

Keeping the CSI between 0 and -0.30 - along with a lot of brushing - may help alleviate/reduce the build up. Is the build up only on horizontal (bottom, steps) surfaces or is it on vertical (walls) surfaces too.? If on both, is it heavier/thicker on steps/bottom? Is the vac still picking up a lot of the stuff?

Reactions: Leebo
Sorry for the late reply.

I'm not able to tell how prevalent it is since the water is too cold to go in. I was only able reach down to the steps and it felt gritty when I run my hand across it.

It has gotten better with the brushing.

Looking from the surface I don't see any etching or scaling on the sides. The vacuuming continues and I'm getting less and less of the crystals. I've been using my polaris vacuum to do that.

Now my other bigger problem. What I thought was a bug or worm stuck on the wall in the deep end looks more like a rust spot. I won't be able to check that out until I'm actually in the pool since the spot is on the wall closer to the bottom.

Sorry for the late reply.

I'm not able to tell how prevalent it is since the water is too cold to go in. I was only able reach down to the steps and it felt gritty when I run my hand across it.

It has gotten better with the brushing.

Looking from the surface I don't see any etching or scaling on the sides. The vacuuming continues and I'm getting less and less of the crystals. I've been using my polaris vacuum to do that.

Now my other bigger problem. What I thought was a bug or worm stuck on the wall in the deep end looks more like a rust spot. I won't be able to check that out until I'm actually in the pool since the spot is on the wall closer to the bottom.
Wondering what the resolution of this was, as I have the exact same issue. Pool was finished in Sep and closed soon after. I just opened to find these calcium crystals all over the walls below the waterline. They seem to be coming off in my Polaris.

Also want to know if Anthony & Sylvan was your pool builder.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.