Opening pool - advice for heavy algae removal needed

jtw114

May 15, 2019
AL
Chlorine pool approx 36x18, 27k gal
In Alabama, has been covered but just had chance to start opening last weekend. Heavy algae. This has been vacuumed to waste 2x so far but not able to do super thorough job due to water level drop each time. I have shocked and added chlorine daily as well as algaecide, but know that getting the visible algae GONE is key. Can I vacuum this into filter and backwash it clean instead of vacuuming to waste at this point? Any advice appreciated.

Attachments

• 6E55589E-F56F-427F-BC24-30CCA2B86F98.jpeg
    6E55589E-F56F-427F-BC24-30CCA2B86F98.jpeg
    665.7 KB · Views: 1
Welcome to the forum!
To eradicate algae you need to follow the process TFP calls SLAM Process. Read the article.
To complete a SLAM, you need a proper test kit.
Can you post a full set of test results from your kit?

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Can I vacuum this into filter and backwash it clean instead of vacuuming to waste at this point?
Kinda'.

Vacuum to filter and move the head very slowly. Note the psi on your filter before you start this. the psi will likely go up quickly and you will need to backwash and repeat. We suggest backwashing each time psi increases 25%.

After a while, you probably will have disturbed the algae on the floor enough that vacuuming is no longer viable. At that point, you can transition to a brush and brush it up into the chlorinated pool water and start your SLAM.

Thank you for the quick value filled response! Here’s where I’m sitting

pH 7.2
FC 0
CC 1.0
CYA 0 (< 30 by a lot)
TA 60

Using pool math to slam, instead of a 3.0 FC goal it takes it up to 10 and says to add 2.7 bottles of the 10% bleach I use.

Step 1 now will be to add that bleach, right?

Thanks!

Can you fill out your signature so we know pool type, volume, equipment, Test kit, etc?

If those test results are from your own proper test kit, then you need to raise your CYA to 30 ppm. Use the sock method. While that is dissolving, raise your FC to 12 ppm and test and add more every couple hours. Once the FC starts to hold better, you can reduce your testing to 3 or 4 times per day.

Add that bleach and re-test in one hour. And add some CYA in there to be 30ppm.
Then re-dose again if it has dropped level below 12ppm
Keep that up along with brushing and vacuuming and it should improve dramatically.

Do not add algaecides or any pool store potions. They will just slow you down and mess up your pool.

Maddie :flower:

What type of pool is it (vinyl, plaster, fiberglass), what pump size, brand, etc do you have, what brand, size is the sand filter.?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.