Opening my SWG Pool and its cold in New York

Jun 2, 2016
New York
So my pool was just opened yesterday and currently is 41 degrees out. I have opened it before, but I think I have been doing the chemicals in the wrong order.

I am wondering what the order of chemicals should be?

The pool is green (not too bad) and very cloudy, leaves still need to be cleaned out of the bottom, but needs to be clearer to see.

Here are my readings.

FC - 1.0
PH - 6.8
TA - 60
CH - 100
CYA - 20
SALT - 2,000

I greatly appreciate any advice.

You left out the CC but I'm sure it's up there a bit. Clean as much of the organics out as possible. Get the PH up to 7.2 and start slam. When the FC starts holding bring the CYA to 30 not higher for now. Keep the slam until you're ready for the OCLT. Use only liquid chlorine and keep the SWCG off. Pump runs 24/7 till done.

You left out the CC but I'm sure it's up there a bit. Clean as much of the organics out as possible. Get the PH up to 7.2 and start slam. When the FC starts holding bring the CYA to 30 not higher for now. Keep the slam until you're ready for the OCLT. Use only liquid chlorine and keep the SWCG off. Pump runs 24/7 till done.

Thank you. My CYA could be even lower than 20; very hard to tell when its that low based on the test. Will the FC even hold if the CYA is more like 0 to 10?

So I don't worry about CH, TA, and Salt levels until OCLT?

After that what should be the order of Chemicals to add, I would think SALT and then?

TA and CH are fine as you have vinyl. FC and PH is key now but you also have to get the CYA 30 to protect it from the sun otherwise the chlorine will not have a chance to sanitize. Your PH is first before slam with a solid 7.2. Once you slam the PH is inaccurate with high FC. Salt is the last when the water warms up. How are you checking salt. SWCG turned on after all chemicals are in line.

TA and CH are fine as you have vinyl. FC and PH is key now but you also have to get the CYA 30 to protect it from the sun otherwise the chlorine will not have a chance to sanitize. Your PH is first before slam with a solid 7.2. Once you slam the PH is inaccurate with high FC. Salt is the last when the water warms up. How are you checking salt. SWCG turned on after all chemicals are in line.

Sorry if I am repeating this, but so based on what your saying PH, CYA, and then SLAM. Or is it PH, SLAM and then adjust CYA.

I check salt with TDS & EC electric tester; which I probably need to recalibrate.

You can have the SLAM Process going during the rain. The water doesn’t mind. Get out and check and maintain the SLAM FC level as often as you can.

Reactions: wireform
SO SLAM is successful I think, no overnight loss, CC is 0.5 and pool is 98% clear, just no crystal clear. been like this for 3 days now.

So then the question is as the pool water is not 60 degrees yet (without heat) do I add salt now? I could use the heater to maintain 60 degrees, as I think in next week or 2 will be in the high mid-60's/70's.

Do I add salt now or wait until FC levels get down?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah a successful SLAM!

You can add salt now and get the salinity up to the correct level for when the pool is warm enough to allow the SWG to kick in (usually at 60 deg for most SWGs). Make sure the SWG is off until the salt has dissolved and thoroughly mixed, usually a day or so. You just don't want the high salinity water that pools at the bottom of a cold pool to hit the cell when its on. It will damage the electrodes.

If you are still seeing suspended stuff after a good OCLT, that is usually dead stuff or sediments that should you should be able to filter out. Did you do one last cleaning of your sand filter?

If you want to heat the pool to jump start the season, that's entirely up to you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.