Opening my pool for the first time/Questions

Mendy48

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2018
Midland, MI
This will be my first time opening my pool. I'm outside right now working on opening up my pool, and I thought I'll start a thread as I will need help as I go along here.

Mesh Cover is off now... cleaned and dried. Will be folding it away and storing it safely.

So, I'm about to remove the qizmo from my skimmer and noticed that I can't find a plug to replace the qizmo? Should there be a plug for the skimmer, or once I remove the qizmo from the skimmer I should be all set?

The gizmo was there to stop water from entering the pipe back to the equipment and also to help absorb the ice expansion of the pool froze. Gizmos out, Skimmer baskets go in and you are good to go there.

Ok! I did everything I was supposed to do and I'm at the step where I turn on the pump and put it to waste. Well, I turned on the pump and nothing is coming out. What could be the problem here. Priming Issues....

I wonder why I had to put water in the pump filter to get the priming started though. Is that normal? I mean, I put water in there for about 2-3 minutes and then stoped. Put the pump filter cap back (and turned on pump to waste). Does anyone know why I had to do that first?

So If you click on my PoolMath Log, you'll see my numbers.

I'm very much disappointed with my numbers. I didn't think my pH level will be that low..nor did I think I would have absolutely no FC in my pool.

Anyhow, I have a question...Is there anything else, other than dissolved Borax, that I can use to push my pH up? The reason I ask is because I really don't like dissolving borax. It takes forever to dissolve this in a bowl before. pouring it in my pool.

Any suggestions? Or is Borax the only way to go here.

P.S. Have to add 121oz of Borax to get my pH up to 7.4. It's at a 6.8 right now. That's a lot of dissolving. I've actually started, but maaannnnn does it take long. And I only have 32oz dissolving right now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.