Bronze Supporter
Apr 16, 2019
Bremen, GA, 65 m west of Atlanta
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Opened yesterday to cloudy, but not green, water. pH 7.3, FC 2.0, TA 80, CYA 0. Added enough LC to bring it up to 7.0, had to get more CYA and LC. Got that today, will start SLAM tomorrow.

While I'm not altogether thrilled we opened to a cloudy pool, at least we didn't open to the horrific mess we had last year, with the oak tree tassels!! And at least its not green! I figure a short SLAM will clear it right up!

Its been fairly nippy til now -- highs in the 60s and lows in the mid 40s. It kind of went from early spring to BAM! Summer. But I guess we could have opened sooner -- it all depended on hubby feeling up to it, since I've been laid up with my broken ankle since last year.

I'm in an Arizona boot now, a lace up brace that I have to wear whenever I go walking. I plan to take it off when I swim, then put it back on when I'm done for the walk back to the house. Hopefully I can get out of the brace by fall or winter!

Don't break an ankle, kiddies -- it'll lay you up for close to a year and cause you problems for a long time after!

Welcome back Sis !!! Good luck with the pool, it should be easy peasy compared to the previous swamps. Good luck with the continued healing. Keep us posted on all fronts. :)

OMG, still with the ankle?! You poor thing. I do feel badly for you. Go sit on the pool steps and let the cooler water bathe and sooth that ankle. It really helps, I promise. I have had to do that multiple times with a recovering Achilles, and two knees.

Maddie :flower:

Starting second day of SLAM, pool is less cloudy. Started at 18 FC with CYA of 45 yesterday morning, dropped to FC 8 last night. 10 this morning. Wish I could have gotten some 10% LC at Wally World, this 6% stuff is the pits. It's fine for maintaining FC, but sucks at SLAMming.

Might make a trip to the dreaded pool store for some 12.5%, if they have any. Maybe check out Home Depot or Ace hardware...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FC was 12 last night, 13 this morning. The leaks in all the hoses aren't helping ( see my post Pump Leaking!!), because I can't run the pump 24/7 because our water went up! Is this SLAM doomed? We run it about an hour to mix the chlorine, but it's definitely not optimal.

The pool is clear, and you can see the bottom, so yay! for that. All I need to do is pass OCLT and CC. Here's hoping the pump issue doesn't undo all the progress so far!

Pump repaired (needed a new hose), FC this morning was 13, this evening 9. Bright, sunny day all day, which accounts for the drop in FC. Brought pool back up to theoretical 18, but tomorrow evening I'm going to check that -- I'm using 6% bleach from the grocery store and I may not be getting 18. So must check after addition tomorrow evening.

Ah, but you opened kinda late for Georgia.....that may be why its cloudy?

I'm undecided as to which is worse- pine needles or oak tassels??

Maddie :flower:
Yes--we have a very long closure season here in Idaho but the forecast of a much warmer than average June motivated me to open a 53 degree pool today, which is earlier than the three years since I became a pool guy when we purchased this home. Very high winds over the last several months with blowing dust made it under the pool cover and into the water. I started the pump and filter yesterday evening and it's clearing quickly. It's much easier to see the pool drain today than yesterday evening. With one bag of salt, the water was balanced again and even though it's running at only 25% output due to cold water, between a trichlor floater and the SWG, I was at 2 ppm FC and 0 FC this AM. CYA is only 40, which is typical at opening, and I like to use trichlor to get the CYA back up. Even at today's high $3 / pound prices, trichlor is still a cheaper source of CYA than "stabilizer"! I'm sure glad I installed an SWG at the beginning of last year's season though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.