Opening above ground pool

Gardenmom

Bronze Supporter
Aug 12, 2016
Syracuse, NY
We opened our above ground pool yesterday. No chlorine, cloudy water, leaves. We put 7.50 gallons of superchlor to 12,000 gallon pool. Water cloudy today, but blue instead of looking like iced tea. I tested the water today, using both Aquacheck 7 strips and my trusty Taylor K2005C kit with FAS/DPT. Both tests agreed on levels, except the strips aren’t as defined. Results:
FC/TC (Taylor kit only) 37.5 CC. 0 CYA less than 10 CH 100 pH 8 TA 100 on strip, turned yellow on Taylor.
From what I’ve read, when the TA test reads so low, that means the pH is low also. This is not the case, and I stymied. So should I bring the TA up first before adjusting other levels? Thanks!

Very high FC levels will change the character of TA testing. See Extended Test Kit Directions Archives - Trouble Free Pool
The pH test is inaccurate at FC above 10 ppm. Take no action based on that test.
If your CYA is 0, you do NOT want your pool at this level of FC. It can and will damage your liner.
Get 30 ppm CYA in the water and follow the SLAM Process process.

Thank you so much! We’ve never had readings like the above, our CYA was always high as we used to use pucks. Now, liquid superchlor. Much easier to maintain levels. We added 2.5 lbs CYA, now we are on the right path. TC still high but coming down. Current readings:
FC 15.5 CC .5 TC 16 pH 7(will adjust) CH 100 TA 130 CYA 55-60
Pool filter running since Sunday. Had heavy rains.
Love my Taylor K2005C and Speed stir!
Again , thanks!

First - do not add any chemicals to raise your pH. It is fine were it is and will rise over time with aeration.

Check your kit, I am sure you have the K2006C if you have the FAS-DPD test. Update your signature if true.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.