Opened to a green liner but water is pretty clear.

Swataz

May 23, 2013
Hauppauge, NY
Happy Memorial Day Weekend, folks!

The basics (also in my sig:
18' x 36' Inground Pool/Vinyl Liner
Hayward DE4820 filter
1 HP Sta-Rite DuraGlas pump

Thanks in part to the bane of my existence -- my mesh pool cover -- I opened to a very green liner. Part of the issue was not prepping the pool as well as in recent years. I was expecting not to be living in my home this year, but that's a story for another day.

The pool water itself is not that bad, actually, but the liner is coated in a pretty decent amount of green algae.

My question is, if I use the SLAM method, will that algae be killed and then it is time to get rid of it through vacuuming to waste or is it worth it to try and get the algae vacuumed to waste along with any debris in there BEFORE I start SLAMming?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey swataz. I think a lot of us got hit this year. I was just talking to another member close by IRL about his being green too. Nov and Dec were crazy warm and then throughout they spring we had 75 degrees for 2 days a few times before back to freezing. Anyway you need all the slime/sludge gone to turbocharge getting the water clean. If you vac to waste it will speed it along. If you can’t vac long enough to get it all out before the water gets to low, Brush it to one area so you have less to vac. It will take several brushing because it makes a mess and has to settle again each time.

I dumped over half my pool and brushed the entire time it drained. I started the Slam as it refilled and once it was high enough to vac again I got the remaining crud off the bottom. That was the turning point. Once it was only cloudy water and no more crud it went quick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Swataz
I think I’m going to vacuum to waste and just add water. Your are correct- if you start brushing it- it will take days for it to settle. I need the pool ready buy next week because the grandkids will be here. Hope to get water clean by Tuesday so I can put the heater on. I need 4 days to get water temperature to 82.

I’m on this site - as Marty D. That’s my original name. When I got my new I phone 10 all when nuts. Is there any way for you or someone send me a password so I can sign in as my original name ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. I been on this site for 3 years as Marty D. . When I got my new phone I phone 10. I had a virus and lost all connections to FB and all my forums. I had to sign in as martylures with a new e mail. Is there any way to get me back to Marty D with my old e mail that I have ? Thank you

I think I’m going to vacuum to waste and just add water. Your are correct- if you start brushing it- it will take days for it to settle. I need the pool ready buy next week because the grandkids will be here. Hope to get water clean by Tuesday so I can put the heater on. I need 4 days to get water temperature to 82.
I think I will go this route as well. Too much BS associated with putting THAT MUCH algae and debris into the water!

I think I will go this route as well. Too much BS associated with putting THAT MUCH algae and debris into the water!
Hi, I’m back(martylures) as Marty D - I remember you Swataz. I will see how the water looks tomorrow if it’s still green I will pull the filter out -by pass- leave the filter out and put in that chemical - run it 24 —. Not what I want to do but like I said the grandkids are coming Saturday and I haven’t seen them in 4 months due to this zombie virus. We had a new grandkid in February- BOY !!! First boy in family. I haven’t held him yet. He’s going to see grandpa for the first time with a dam mask on. That’s going to be interesting.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi, I’m back(martylures) as Marty D - I remember you Swataz. I will see how the water looks tomorrow if it’s still green I will pull the filter out -by pass- leave the filter out and put in that chemical - run it 24 —. Not what I want to do but like I said the grandkids are coming Saturday and I haven’t seen them in 4 months due to this zombie virus. We had a new grandkid in February- BOY !!! First boy in family. I haven’t held him yet. He’s going to see grandpa for the first time with a dam mask on. That’s going to be interesting.
Congrats on the new grand baby! I recently became a great uncle for the first time myself.

How is it possible to have poured four 128 oz. 10% liquid shock jugs into my pool with all other levels being excellent and still not get above 4% TC, tops? It was a 0 before, but according to Pool Math, it should be at 10 anyway.

Unless my CL testing chemicals are totally junk, which is a possibility.

My Walmart in Riverhead had the same date code. I wasn’t looking to SLAM so I didn’t care too much but my brain went to both possibilities.

Well I am glad to see the CYA of 30 so that is good.

I am leaning towards the chlorine being hold but that first set of numbers does seem new.........Let do this...........test your FC then add in enough of the chlorine to get your FC up by 5. Let the pump run for about 15 mins and retest to see what happens. That will tell us if the chlorine is any good at all.

Last edited:
Well I am glad to see the CYA of 30 so that is good.

I am leaning towards the chlorine being hold but that first set of numbers does seem new.........Let do this...........test your FC then add in enough of the chlorine up by 5. Let the pump run for about 15 mins and retest to see what happens. That will tell us if the chlorine is any good at all.

Not sure what you mean by "add in enough of the chlorine up by 5," but I added a 4th gallon and it did not really budge.

I ordered new reagents and will get some different liquid shock. This is a pain in the butt as the reagents will take a week to get here thanks to the Covid-slowed Amazon and I don't trust a test strip to be very accurate.

Sorry about that..............it should have said "add in enough of the chlorine to get your FC up by 5".

With you adding in a whole jug and not seeing any movement in the FC I am leaning toward the chlorine being old :(

I would keep adding chlorine each day to keep ahead of things until you can get your new regents BUT who knows??? the new chlorine could be just what you need.

Hey I know!!! Fill a gallon jug up with your house water and test it for FC THEN add in 1/8 cup of chlorine and shake it up. What does the test say now????

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.