Opened Pool - High CYA

May 19, 2017
New York
Hello Everyone,

I opened my pool about a week ago and I'm dealing with a semi-cloudy pool (not bad, I can see main drain fine) and the smell of chloramines. I'm in the NE, I have loop lock cover and the pool water is usually disgusting when I open it - that's why I try to start early. I slammed the pool a day after opening, and have not added any additional chlorine. I have not put any trichlor pucks in the chlorinator as of yet. I used Walmart Pool Essentials Chlorinating liquid. The pool has about 43k gallons in it. The DE filter is clean - I opened it up several times and hosed down the grids as opposed to backwashing.

I started adding some water to dilute. Based upon what I read my free chlorine should be higher - like 7, but I'm reluctant to add more as I have a new vinyl liner and wanted to try to go easy on it. Any suggestions on what I should do?

Taylor K-2006 Recent Reading from today.

CH = 325
TA= 100
PH = 7.5
FC = 5.6PPM
CC = 0.4PPM
CYA = 90

Thank you

I suggest you do an OCLT test... Overnight Chlorine Loss Test and diagnose if you have an algae issue. If you do have a significant FC loss over night then you will need to do a real SLAM .... SLAM Process
Take a look at the SLAM FC levels needed at 90ppm CYA and think about the possibility of bleaching your new liner... FC/CYA Levels
You need to discontinue using the Trichlor pucks as they are increasing your CYA and you are already to the point of having to drain some water and refill with fresh.

Reactions: zooba72
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.