Opened pool for first time and have SLAM questions

Appledapple

Apr 30, 2017
Stuarts Draft, Virginia
So I finally got all the gunk and debris vacuumed out of my pool, and then tested the water with the TF-100 test kit. My results were:
FC=0
CC=0
TC=0
TA=90
pH=7.5
CYA=0
From what I've read in pool school, I need to get my CYA up before I get the chlorine levels right. I plugged my numbers in the pool math calculator, and it said to add 161oz of stabilizer. Am I doing this correctly? Should I be aiming for shock FC of 12? Is the sock that the stabilizer goes in a regular sock that you wear?

You are correct that adding CYA is your first task by the sock in front of a return method squeezing frequently. It won't register on your test right away. Assume it's at the level you added for. You can test 24 hours after it is gone from the sock. After you get your CYA started raise your FC level to SLAM level for that CYA level and then we'll go from there.

Should have also asked these first...

How are you chlorinating? Do you have a recommended test kit? If not, get one. What is your water condition? Clear, cloudy, green?

How was the pool mantained before? If it's traditional pool store methods your cya would be extremely high. Have you done a drain and refill lately or the end of last season? I ask because we want to make sure of the cya test because you don't want to high of cya.

If your confidant if the cya test results, put cya in a sock in the skimmer basket, knead to get it gone faster

The problem with putting a sock in Skimmer is if the OP backwashes his sand filter the very fine but not fully dissolved CYA goes down the drain

But agree on it's importance thus the testing kit questions offered.

I'm chlorinating with bleach, and I have the TF-100 kit. The previous owners had a new liner installed last spring, so it's only had one summer (last summer) of traditional pool care. I limped along with what the pool people told me to do, then had the pool drained to about 2" below the skimmer when I closed it last September. I topped it off with county water from my hose last Saturday, and for now it's just cloudy. When I did the cya test yesterday, the water was clear for every step and I was able to see the black dot when I filled the tube to the top. Should I test it again to be sure?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.