Opened and overchlorinated improperly closed pool

Sep 10, 2017
St John, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My closing cover came undone during the winter and I didn't take the time to get it back in place. I opened the pool yesterday and it was clear but greenish. Cover came off, and even with by best efforts, dumped its supply of 6 months of grossness into the pool. 24' round, 5' deep, center drain, Hayward pump and sand filter and H1501 heater.
I've been on this forum for almost five years and assumed that what I had done would require dramatic chlorination and I used about 12 gallons of 12.5% liquid chlorinator. I've vacuumed and used a vacuum robot and have cleared the pool entirely of debris - but the pool is cloudy. I've tested FC with the kit and after dropping 50 drops and it still being dark purple I stop wasting the reagent. PH is well above 8.2 (off the charts).
My CYA was at zero and I added enough to bring it to 45 - but it hasn't helped anything.
I cannot find AquaSilk in stock anywhere, but have found Shox non-chlorine oxidizer at Menards. Can anyone tell me if that will work like AquaSilk? If not, do I have any other options - can someone give specific examples of products I can buy at Home Depot, Lowe's, or Menards that I can use to help me bring this down?
I messed up royally - and wasted a bunch of money - lesson learned..now I just need to fix it. Appreciate the help.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
The FC will come down. The pH is likely not that high, just incorrect.
I would not do anything chemically to reduce the FC. Just test it each day and keep filtering.
I suggest you read through Pool Care Basics - Trouble Free Pool and even look at a few of our videos TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool

Welcome to the forum!
The FC will come down. The pH is likely not that high, just incorrect.
I would not do anything chemically to reduce the FC. Just test it each day and keep filtering.
I suggest you read through Pool Care Basics - Trouble Free Pool and even look at a few of our videos TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool
Do you think the cloudiness I'm still experiencing is from the over-chlorination? Is it contaminates still not filtered out by the sand filter? Should I expect clearing water as the FC comes down?

The cloudy water is not due to the chlorine.
I would suggest you follow the SLAM Process. Maintain your FC at SLAM level (once it comes down in a day or two) and keep filtering to clean up the pool.

When FC is over 10, the drop pH test tests artifically high. So don't bother testing pH again until FC is under 10.

I’d let the FC come down to 9.5, test and adjust pH, then start theSLAM Process. Until then just rest around the end of the day to see if your FC came down. Use a 5ml sample, one scoop of powder, each drop is 1ppm FC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.