Open terminal bulb replacement

gator.bigfoot

Jun 30, 2009
Ayr, Ontario
I have an open terminal bulb. AL14 style bulb. The first bulb held 15 years and now I'm replacing the bulb every year or so. Since the terminals are open in the back and I'm replacing the bulb in the water I'm wondering if that is contributing to the failure of the bulb? There is no housing on the back of the bulb, just a housing in the pool shell. The terminals are open and sit in the water that is in the housing of the pool shell. There is a gasket, although I'm not sure what it's purpose is if there is water behing the bulb anyway. The cover of the bulb is held in place with 3 screws. Once I replace the bulb it does work for while. I'm confused on how it is working with water behind the bulb on the terminals. It seams that every post/video etc I could find shows that the bulb has it's own water proof housing and then this get placed into the housing on of the pool shell. Yet my bulb has no housing and the open terminals sit in the water.

Was mine built incorrectly? What gives? Do I need to replace this style of bulb when there's no water in the pool?

I'm hoping there someone else out there who has this same style of bulb. Thanks.

Can you post pictures of you light, bulb and bulb socket?
I think this might be the bulb. I'm not sure what the difference is between the Par36 and the AL14. Both look very similar and both I believe run on 12V. The wiring from the pool shell socket just comes and connects on the back of the bulb and then the bulb gets installed in the housing built into the pool shell. Put when you're doing this there is no way to get the water out of the housing since it is lower than the level of the water. I can try to take some pictures when the water warms up, right now it a chilly 65 degrees.

Right now you have an electrical hazard! The bulb and terminals should not be in contact with the water. For now, shut off the circuit breaker supplying power to the pool light or disconnect all the the pool light wiring at your equipmemt pad - you do not want any electrical power in direct contact with the pool water - even if it is only 12 volt power. Do not use the pool until you have accomplished this.

My guess is that this light and housing is supposed to have some type of seal or gasket that prevents water from being in direct contact with the bulb and terminals. It needs to be water tight - and right now it isn't. Possibly the only way to replace the bulb is to drain the pool to below the housing

Can you access the light housing outside of the pool? If so, see if there is any identifying info on it.

I'm confused on how it is working with water behind the bulb on the terminals.

Me too!!!

Yet my bulb has no housing and the open terminals sit in the water.

I think yours is supposed to also, but either the gasket has failed, or the fixture has developed a leak, Or it is just not right for a pool, and someone made it work. Either way, I have never seen that bulb in a pool light, and you should get the right fixture type in there.

Do I need to replace this style of bulb when there's no water in the pool?
Perhaps.

You could take a picture of the whole thing (fixture+bulb) and do a Google picture or "image search" and see if anything comes up as far as a "proper application" for it.

How about access from the backside - outside of the pool? Can you access the niche the light is mounted in from outsidethe pool? If so, is there any info printed on it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.