txhorns16

Feb 1, 2021
San Antonio
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I received this text from my bro in law. I noticed his water looked bad and I opened up the closed po drain valve. He was told to keep it closed since he has a cleaner. Is this true? I've never closed off my skimmers or drain when my polaris runs. I posted my setup, my bro in law's is similar.

Attachments

• IMG_20220326_124319.jpg
    IMG_20220326_124319.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 20220326_124850.jpg
    20220326_124850.jpg
    560.1 KB · Views: 39
Main drain has no suction you can feel when it is on. Pool cleaners do get hung up on the drain cap and not because of the suction.

A bit of flow through the main drain helps flow in the pool if you have a deep end.

The main drain being opened or closed has nothing to do with your brother's pool water quality issues.

What does "water looks bad" mean???

How does your brother chlorinate his water?

What do his test results look like for the following?

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt (if a saltwater pool)

Thanks,

Jim R.

Sadly he does nothing Jim. Somebody comes out weekly to shock and clean out the leaves. Are skimmers sufficient enough to turn over the water from a 10k pool? I rec to leave the drain open.

Operating Main drains are not "needed" in most pools.. Running with just skimmers works just fine.

The idea that you must "turnover" x amount of water per day is an old myth and just not true. Chemicals keep your pool clear and sanitized, not the number of times water passes through the filters. Pool filters are there to capture all the junk that falls into your pool and floats. Once your filters start capturing algae it is way too late. The key is to not let algae start at all by keeping your FC and CYA levels where then should be per this chart.. FC/CYA Levels

There is nothing "wrong" with leaving the main drain open, but doing so just means the skimmers do less and in the big picture the main drains don't really do much anyway. Many think that algae starts due to lack of circulation, but that is not true. It is true that algae will form first where there is less circulation, but it starts because of low free chlorine levels, not because of any circulation issue.

As far as your BIL is concerned, sadly, you can't help someone that is unwilling to help themselves. :drown:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: txhorns16
If you ever want to swim in your BIL's pool then try to correct his sanitation method, if not then ooh-well. :scratch:
My main drain has been closed for 6 years, no issues. I did remove the riser under my cap so it sits lower to the pool bottom. I did this when I ran a suction-side sweep, (Pentair Rebel) as it often was stuck on the bottom drain and it helped but have no problem now with the bot.

Last edited:
Reactions: txhorns16
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.