Oops, rocks and dirt covered part of my wall bottom and I have bubbling

It kinda looks like the moisture got behind the coating but hasn’t really started to rust the metal yet. Cleaning it off & Sealing that back up is important. In fact, doing what vinny described is in many above ground pool manuals. Letting it continue to deteriorate without intervention is considered neglect for many warranties.

Reactions: kimkats
People repair their cars using rust converter and painting it. I understand this is not a car but trying to give it more of a chance to survive longer is the goal IMO. It may be happening on the inside but without draining the pool and removing the liner - no one knows for sure. My old pool walls were pretty rusty at 20 YO, When I saw the amount I was planning on testing areas to see the integrity of the walls and if they were OK then hit them with rust converter and paint them up. I don't know how long it would have lasted. The worst place was at the filter skimmer and I kind of attribute it to having a small skimmer head vs the larger one, a lot of open holes were exposed to the elements for many years and the skimmer looks like it had developed a leak.. The end result was my bottom track was gone and that made the pool unsafe so we got rid of it.

I would think that if this is just surface rust and it's taken care of there's a good possibility the pool can stand for 10+ more years. We don't know the quality of the pool to say it will or won't. But this is just my opinion.

Reactions: Mdragger88
. . . . . I would assume if the problem is on the outside it's on the inside too.
+1 to ^^^
Still, take care of the outside but assume the inside has rust too. It's still early and maybe not a big problem.
No way to get to the inside except remove the liner and fix it. A job needed in probably a few years.

Thanks all . The good thing is that now that I removed the dirt/rocks from that area it shouldn't have any moisture to continue the rust. Regarding rust by the skimmer/return it has a stainless steel wall panel there so I wouldn't expect it to rust like the rest of the metal wall in the pool. Especially since I don't have any leaks *yet* in the skimmer. Here is my plan, please tell me if I should do anything different ?

1) Sand down the bubbling and surface rust
2) Spray with rust converter spray? Though it says only use on rusty surfaces, there's no rust under the bubbling so is there a better product https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/stops-rust/rust-reformer
3) Paint with rustoleum enamel paint https://www.acehardware.com/departm...Vi-rjBx0b8QxUEAQYAyABEgJD-fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Would these be the correct products? Not sure exactly what to use since there appears to be very little rust

Reactions: mariane
If no rust then no need for the converter. If any rust use the converter. If the rustoleum is good for metal and plastic (coating on pool wall) then spray it and overlap the areas that need painting into the areas already are protected. One thing I haven't seen (I may have missed it) is you are going to want to keep an eye on the area going forward just as a precaution. If you see it deteriorating then repair again.

My story is based on a steel walled pool that was 20 YO. Even then I don't believe it was all the way through the wall but I did not test its integrity. Be aware that not all Stainless Steel is created equal. I have seen medical equipment cladded in Stainless that was rusted. I think the highest grade is made for marine use, not sure of it's number designation. Your pool may or may not have that Stainless on it.

The rust reformer gets a good review numbers, at Home Depot a lot of 4 and 5 star reviews. But it can't be used on galvenized steel per the Q&A, if you panel is galvenized then it can't be used per Rustoleum. I see they have a rust disolver product that can be used on galvenized steel. The actual paint I'm not so sure. Rustoleum sells spray paint that I think would work better IMO. Brushing and/or rolling may not be good way to do it. The link you sent me to was a can of paint.

Take a look at the Home Dept website. You may actually get better advice on what to use at a paint supply store if the HD website/store doesn't provide good info.

You want to mask and paper any area that you don't want overspray.

Thanks - I contacted the pool factory directly and they said the walls are considered galvanized and not to use rustoleum. They stated to use this.... just linking in case anyone needs in the future. Or they also said to use a marine grade epoxy paint

Thanks - I contacted the pool factory directly and they said the walls are considered galvanized and not to use rustoleum. They stated to use this.... just linking in case anyone needs in the future. Or they also said to use a marine grade epoxy paint

Just to set expectations, a 2K epoxy coating would be best (after removing ALL rust). Anything you apply from a spray can is going to not be as good as the factory coating. Given the factory coating has already failed, you should keep an eye on that spot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Just my opinion but it doesn't look like that paint will address the rust at all so you will need to remove any visible rust. How to get rid of it is either elbow grease with wire brush or very fine sandpaper or that rust dissolver Rust-Oleum 8 oz. Rust Dissolver Jelly 322435 - The Home Depot

Remember rust is oxidation of metal and you need to get rid of it all to stop it before covering it. Once the rust is gone then use that paint. But make sure you keep an eye on it through the year and years.

Reactions: Bperry
Thanks Vinny. I'm not going to use that product from the manufacturer. In talking with rustoleum and a friend that restores cars I've settled on this. After scraping away the loose paint using below. Does this sound good?

Rustoleum universal bonding https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rust-Oleum...Vqg6zAB1zgwLSEAQYAyABEgIIM_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Then using this on the parts of the wall that now have exposed metal https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rust-Oleum...Vqg6zAB1zgwLSEAQYAyABEgIIM_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Those are both primers. You want a top coat to go over a primer as primers allow moisture to seep through.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.