OOPS! PoolMath "lost" it's config - added too much chlorine

viking68

Silver Supporter
May 9, 2010
Lake Mary, FL
So - been a bit neglectful of pool - new equipment looming; refinishing this fall; just had 14 yo FAFCO solar replaced with Helicol system.

It's Florida, so it's fair to question - "Why replace solar in July?". Simple. Old system had massive leaks together with lousy roof penetrations that were failing; straps had actually come undone - and - it's Hurricane Season!

Back to the neglect part. Haven't brushed in a week - pool temp at 86. Chlorine at 3. I had dumped a gallon in a few days ago - off the cuff and yeah, I know shame on me for not testing.

Algae all over the walls - what one would normally expect to grow when chlorine dips and idiot owner doesn't brush. So, this a.m., IO (that's me - idiot owner) brush pool sides and bottom - created quite the fog. Let DE run it through for an hour and back-washed. (I'm not breaking that ancient DE filter down again - ever!). Remember, new equipment in a few months.

I went to pool math and it had lost my configuration. Easy enough to reset - except I didn't notice it was calculating on 6% chlorine, not the 12.5% I get up the street at XYZ pool store!

You can guess the result. SLAM at 40 CYA calls for 16 Chlorine. Add 4 gallons, 1 quart - with existing Chlorine at 3. I err'd on the "safe" side and "only" put in 1 jug of 2.5 gallons. Glad I did. See - the 12.5% value I should have used only calls for half as much - 2 gallons, 1 cup.

I over-shot by 3ppm - now at a skin-whitening 19.5!!!!!

I'll keep watch on it today and at dark, 1hp $$ sucker running full bore, solar off for at least the next 24 hours. Groan!

I love me some trouble-free pools - when I pay attention!

Thunderstorm just popped up - what can I say? It's Florida!

Best, y'all!

3 ppm overshot isnt that bad. It should be down to your 16 shock level in a few hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.