Oof- lots of people, in HOT weather.. then nobody in pool for a week! Levels are a mess

PureLuck

Silver Supporter
May 1, 2016
Hopkinton, MA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Not sure how this happened, other than I probably should've run the salt generator all day, and then overnight last week during a party.

So- now I'm dealing with some algae buildup on the deep end walls-

How do I get the chlorine up again? I have the SWG running now on super chlorinate, and have run it the last few days at least 6 hours.

This afternoon my levels are no better than they were on Thursday. (But I have been really bad this week and didn't test after the party on Saturday.. however, on Wednesday the pool company was here fixing a liner slip and they said I could use 20# of calcium. )

My Clorine is at .5

Calcium Hardness test showing 25ppm(!)

pH 7.8

TA 70

CYA 30

FC .5
CC .5
Salt 3,600

You can bump your chlorine with plain bleach.
It will take some of the stress off of your SWCG as well.
Also, with a salt water system, you might want to bump your CYA up to about 60 in your area. That way you won't lose as much to sunlight during the day. (Yes you will have to keep your FC at a higher level, but in the end it is easier to maintain it there for your SWCG).

Your SWG cannot produce enough CL to clear an algae problem. You need to follow the SLAM Process and use liquid chlorine. Don’t raise your CYA until the SLAM Process is successful.

Ok- forgive me- (I have a neurological condition, sometimes things I know how to do normally I can not put into a correct process)
I got the pool chlorine levels up.. they are still at 5(+) - have had the pump and swg running this whole time.
Test results as if this morning: and after sitting here for an hour trying to remember how/what order etc to do things I'm humbly coming for help in which chemical to add in which order..

Cl: 5
pH: 7.8
Cl drop test: 2.5(fc?)
CC: .5
TC: (?)3
Calcium Hardness: 25ppm
TA: 70
CYA:20
Salt: 3200

Thank you all so much!

Not sure where you are.

Are you trying to get to normal water balance or follow the SLAM Process to get rid of an algae problem.

Either way you need to increase your CYA to at least 30 ppm (add 10 ppm) if you are going to follow the SLAM Process then to 60-70 once you are free of algae.

Your ph and TA levels are fine. You will need to lower your pH as one of the first steps of the SLAM Process

Your CH is fine right now.

The algae is gone as there was just the beginnings of it showing. I'm just trying to get it back into swimmable at this point as there are a few people coming over tomorrow to swim.

.. And what do I need to get to raise the CYA?

Add stabilizer using the sock method.

CYA can be raised with cyanuric acid. Cyanuric acid is sold under a variety of names, including Stabilizer, Conditioner, Instant Pool Water Conditioner, Stabilizer 100, Stabilizer & Conditioner, etc. Instant Pool Water Conditioner is a liquid product which is significantly more expensive than the other forms.

Solid/granular cyanuric acid (CYA) should be placed in a sock and the sock put in the skimmer basket or suspended in front of a pool return. After adding CYA you should leave the pump running for 24 hours and not backwash/clean the filter for a week. Squeezing the sock periodically will help it to dissolve faster. Test and dose chemicals in your pool assuming the amount of CYA added is in the pool according to Poolmath. CYA can be tested the day after it is fully dissolved from the sock.

Cl: 5
Cl drop test: 2.5(fc?)

What is the difference between the 5 and the 2.5? Which is the TF-100 FAS/DPD test using R0870 & R-871?

Last edited:
What is the difference between the 5 and the 2.5? Which is the TF-100 FAS/DPD test using R0870 & R-871?
The 5 is from the basic red/yellow pH/cl 5 drops in each side, and compare to the colors on the
Plastic sides.
The drop test one is from the test kit with the swirling and counting. Sorry I'm not at the tests right this moment to look at the numbers on the bottles..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Then 2.5 is your FC which is low. You need to run your SWG more to get it to 4-6.

The drop test just tells you there is chlorine in the water. The readinsg are not very accurate.

Then 2.5 is your FC which is low. You need to run your SWG more to get it to 4-6.

The drop test just tells you there is chlorine in the water. The readinsg are not very accurate.
I have had the SWG running all week long Super Chlorinate.. maybe I should run the tests at a pool place to see if my testing materials are off.
I will go do that now

Trust your testing not pool store tests.

Get your CYA raised to 60-70. It will lower your FC loss.

Add 5ppm of liquid chlorine to top off your FC level. Then your SWG should be able to maintain it. If it cant then you need the SLAM Process to kill algae using up the generated chlorine.

This is what I came out with from the pool place.. adding stabilizer now- however not sure about the high phosphates

Attachments

• IMG_20190802_181652.jpg
    IMG_20190802_181652.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 12
This is what I came out with from the pool place.. adding stabilizer now- however not sure about the high phosphates

Ignore everything that pool store test says about what is OK and what is not. Ignore the phosphates.

Phosphates ignored happily! Stabilizer in, tests all looking great now. Realized that the SWG only runs the Super chlorinator for a few hours then reverts to the regular settings.. all is back in happy land! Thank you all so much, especially for the patience while my brain had a little vacation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.