Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Hi Folks,

So glad to have found this forum - what an awesome community! I've been having a really tough time getting the water clean and stable. Searching online has given me all different types of direction as well, so I'm hoping that someone here could help set me in the right direction. My main problem seems to be that my FC levels keep dropping to zero after about 24 hours.

Here are the details on the pool.
  • The size of your pool in gallons - I think around 30,000 gallons. The pool came with the house, so we don't know much about it.
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground) - IG
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass - Vinyl
  • The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) - Sand
  • If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter. - Everything is Hayward, about 7 years old now.
  • List other known details of the pump - Horsepower, Single speed, 2 Speed or Variable Speed - Single speed
  • List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc. - I have a saltwater chlorine generator
  • List what test kit you use to test your water - Test strips - "BOSIKE 5 in 1 Pool Test Strips". I've read that Taylor kits are what I need, but can't seem to find them for a reasonable price here in Canada ($150 for a test kit is high, right?)
  • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions - Filled from city water. No restrictions that I'm aware of
My test results - I test twice a day, cause I'm a bit obsessed with why I can't get this to work!
  • FC - 0 after 24 hours of any FC generation
  • Cyanuric Acid - ~50
  • Total Alkalinity - 180
  • pH - 8.4

What I've tried
  • My salt levels were too low at first for my SWG to work, it's now sits around 3200-3400 ppm
  • I've run "super chlorinator" mode many times, at least 7-8 times for 24 hour periods. slight raise in FC. Maybe 3ppm and then back down to zero once I turn it off.
  • I've manually added about 3 lbs of unstabilized chlorine (70%) over a 7 day period. each time, the FC levels rise to around 5ppm and then in about 24 hours, it's back to zero.
  • The water itself its clear - but I believe that's just from throwing manual labour at it. I skim the surface everyday, multiple times a day. I also run the filter and vacuum ~10 hours a day. There always seems to be sand looking dirt at the bottom of the pool.
  • I backwash my filter once a week. Pressure levels are always around the 30psi range.
What I'm trying now
  • So given my pH is rather high, I've just ordered some pH Lower to bring it down.
  • I'm going to try SLAMing the pool, because maybe I've got algae in it that's not visible
I'm open to any ideas and what to try to get the pool working. It's so frustrating because the weather here has been nearing 30C (that's high 80s F) and we haven't been able to use the pool once since we opened it! Thank you so much!

Cheers,
Spin

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.