One month in w/new pool - please check numbers

Cyclist7531

Bronze Supporter
Jun 27, 2019
Central Valley California
One month into our new pool and as of today here are my numbers. How am I doing? Anything to be aware of? I've been adding chlorine as needed to keep the FC in the 4-5 range. Water looks great. Should I add a little muriatic acid to bring the PH down to say 7.6 which would bring the TA down a hair. Also, have not added salt. Builder was supposed to do that later this week and show me how to use it(and replace my sheer descent pump). The water temp is still 50 so SWG won't be producing any chlorine anyway so when should I start bringing up my CYA number? Should I wait until the water warms a bit and the SWG is starting to produce chlorine or should I raise it gradually such that it's at 70 before it starts producing chlorine?

Thanks

FC = 4
PH = 7.8
TA = 100
CH = 275
CYA = 30
CSI = -0.04
Water Temp = 50 degrees F

Last edited:
Your CSI is telling you the story. Looks good overall.

FC of 4 is in range for CYA 30 FC/CYA Levels end of "target".. you will need to bring that up when the SWG is on line. Which until your water is reliably above the level that it will run there isn't a big reason to bring it up yet. I'm lazy so when it starts to get near there I'd switch to trichlor and just bring it up gradually, save on the liquid chlorine for a bit. I need to actually get a SWCG and install it this spring.. I'm already getting tired of running to the pool store on the other side of town to get the good stuff.

There isn't a need to bring down the TA or pH if your readings are stable over time. In fact you might make it less stable by attempting that. 7.8 is ok.

Note that as the water temperature comes up then the FC will be used up much faster. I had a couple of months of use of the pool last season and I am literally using 1/3 of the chemicals at 49F than I was at 85F. But that will change. With SWCG though, much of that will be provided by the cell. Enjoy...

I agree with Rattus. Your water looks great right now....I think you've got the hang of this. If your pH is relatively stable now, no reason to run a lower pH. Wait 'til Spring to add CYA and salt; doing so now with colder water temps will lower your CSI to the -0.24 range. Warmer months means increased evaporation. You'll be adding more fill water, which probably means increasing pH, TA, and calcium levels. You'll have plenty of opportunity to use your MA then:) Keep your numbers in check and watch your CSI to help reduce scaling.

Great job!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.