West suburbs of Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
1st time pool closing by myself and I am in the middle of blowing out my main drain with a pancake air compressor set at 25psi. I have 2 main drains and when i continuously blow out with compressor, one main drain bubbles continuously very strong and the other main drain intermittently bubbles. Regardless, while main drain bubbling I closed the main drain valve to air lock and immediately shut off the compressor. My main concern is if i properly blew the main drain with the air compressor.

I also tried to put antifreeze directly into the suction plumbing but I did not see the antifreeze come out of the main drain. I did see the antifreeze when i blew out the skimmers though.

POOL PLUMBING.jpgPOOL SETUP.jpg

I believe the 2 main drains are directly connected together by a pipe and the second drain is for safety. If something blocks the first drain, it can still pull water in through the second drain and doesn't form a vacuum, holding whatever (or whomever) is blocking the first drain. So when you push air back out, it comes out the first drain, and whatever additional air that can't get out the first flows to the second drain. You typically only get a small amount of air from the second drain. At least that's how my in-law's pool was built.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.