May 12, 2024
NE Thailand
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Long time reader, love the TFP methodology, forum and helpful regulars! My new tiled infinity edge pool is awesome so far. SWG keeps chlorine between 1 and 2. PH loves 8.0 or more, so working on that. Got TA to 60, but adding 35 pounds of Calcium Chloride yesterday knocked it back to 50. CH should be 200 now though, based on Pool Math. PH is still 7.5 this morning, so CH must be helping stabilize it!

Ready to add Boric Acid today, but should I bring TA up before or after? Should I lower PH more before the boric acid? I’m a little nervous dumpimg 15 pounds of anything into my shiny new pool!

Side note: Any chance of getting a TF-100 Salt shipped to Thailand?

Thanks in advance and happy pool season!

PH bounce. The only time PH would be under 8.0 would be the day I added 34% Hydrochlori acid. If Borates add a “silky feel” and “sparkle”, count me in.

From the link-
“Benefits of using Borates
  • More stable pH due to slowing pH increase
  • Helps prevent scaling in a SWG cell
  • Silky water feel
  • More water sparkle”

Last edited:
Thanks.

“Ready to add Boric Acid today, but should I bring TA up before or after? Should I lower PH more before the boric acid?”

Today I have:
Cl 5. (I added Tri-chlor yesterday to get some CYA in the pool.)
PH 8 (I thought the Calcium chloride helped as it stayed 7.5 for a day.)
TA 60 (After Calcium chloride it had dropped to 50, more sodium bicarb on standby.))
CH about 220 (Estimate using test strips and pool math.)
Salt about 3900.

How ‘dialled in’ should the water be before adding boric acid? Are there ‘cons’ to boric acid I should know about?

Thank you!

Thanks for chiming in. Being on the other side of the world can nake it seem I don’t respond promptly. Apologies.

I did not see anything in the thorough and well written “Borates in Pool” article that would discourage Borates.

My PH stayed around 7.5 for a day and a half, but this morning back to nearly 8. Added acid again. My goal is to get away from adding acid every 2nd or 3rd day.

I wonder if being fully ceramic tile changes any recommended parameters at all?

Pool is clear and clean used daily but low bather load.

My PH stayed around 7.5 for a day and a half, but this morning back to nearly 8. Added acid again. My goal is to get away from adding acid every 2nd or 3rd day.
We aim for high 7s and 60 TA to counter PH rise. Dose when you see it at 8+ and only to 7.6 or 7.8. It may take longer to rise starting at 7.8.

What's your TA ?

Thanks for the input. My PH has been hitting 8+ hard every other day, even with my infinity edge basically turned off most of the time. Pool is beautiful and clear and we swim everyday. 100% of the users shower before swimming. ;-)
TA 60
PH 7.4
CL 2
CYA guessing 10. (Using trichlor twice weekly to slowly bump CYA.)
Calcium chloride ~200 did seem to buffer PH rise some. E.g. 1/2 to 1 day delay.

After reading until my eyes bulged, I’m ready to add Boric Acid to buffer even further. And of course add sparkle!
Cheers!

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support