Omnilogic salt water generator not detected - solved

Kirk569

Jan 31, 2020
Niceville, Florida
All,

This is a post from my experience as a new pool owner finding myself dealing with Omnilogic issues after a bad thunderstorm. I saw several other issues just like mine in the forums but never saw a solution. It took me a long time but I figured out a lot on my own.

I came home from work one day to find a comm error in my Omnilogic. I had only owned the home for a month and had no pool hardware experience yet. I followed the troubleshooting guide and deleted the DDT. I then reloaded a back-up configuration and realized my salt water generator has all zeros for voltage, amps, temp, and everything else. I also then noticed my pool robot cleaner was no longer working. Being an aerospace engineer I dug into the trouble shooting manuals completely and and it looked like I had a more serious issue and a board was probably bad. I did call my local Hayward dealer and he confirmed the board was bad (he was wrong), but since he had no idea how to program Omnilogic he suggested I replace the board myself and maybe call Hayward for help in doing a new configuration. He politely explained that he does not know how to configure them. I did try another pool guy and heard the same thing, "....sorry, no experience. These Omnilogic things are too complicated for me...."

Being on my own now I went with PoolWeb and ordered a new display, board, and transformer. I decided to refresh the display and transformer as long as I had it apart. The display I had was very old and the touch screen was not working well. I photographed everything before disconnecting wires. I had numerous XML file back-ups from the previous owners so I knew I had a good configuration file to reload after the upgrade.

I proceeded to install the new main board, the new display with microprocessor, and transformer. I reloaded the old configuration file and to my horror all the salt water generator readings were still all zero, and my pool cleaner still would not turn on and run. Well, I was beyond frustrated. I am out $1200 and no solution yet. It was then I did another day of analysis and realized that the configuration file does not configure EVERYTHING. It seems my hardware was fine all along but the configuration file does not contain the relays assigned to each device. I am beyond mad at Hayward documentation at this point. I went through the darn troubleshooting guide and did everything it said to do, and no were did it say the XML file does not contain the relay information. I finally went to edit the configuration file and low and behold you can add it back that way, but it never stores it in the XML file. It apparently is only stored in the firmware memory and is never backed-up with the XML info.

Ok, so here I am $1200 later and I realize all along now my board was fine after the thunderstorm caused a power glitch that apparently dropped some needed info when I had to do the DDT reset. I was completely convinced that the XML configuration file had all the needed info. Wrong, and shame on Hayward for not making this crystal clear in the documentation.

So, if you load a past configuration you then must go and edit the configuration using the screen and add back any missing relay assignments. At no time will all this be stored in the XML file, so write it all down. I had to add back the relay info for my SWG, booster pump for the cleaner, and lights.

Hayward, if you read this. Dont call a file the configuration file if it does not contain the entire set of info needed to make the Omnilogic work.

I hope my $1200 lesson helps someone else recover if their SWG starts producing zeros for all the readings. It could be the cell is bad, or it could be the configuration details were dropped like in my situation.

My one question is does anyone know what the Save DDT command does? Does it save the DDT file to an USB stick?

Kirk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.