OMG! My pool is ill!

Cat said:
Thanks Zea3, I'm sure I'll be heading to the Heebe soon, just down the street. I wasn't sure how much bleach to put in. I finally got the pH down to 7.2 this morning. Started yesterday, wasn't sure how much acid to add, so I would add some, wait a couple of hours, test and add more acid until I got the correct read. I have added 4 gals. of 10% chlorine, but how long until I can start testing the shock chlorine level? Right away, or do I have to wait 2 hours for proper disbursement?

What if I run out of bleach before I hit the shock FC and I have to run to the store, will that mess up the results? It would be about a 40 min. round trip for me.
Won't hurt a thing. Just add what tou need upon return. Give it 30 mins-1hour for disbursement.

Thanks to all who helped me. The slam was a success! The pool is a beautiful blue...still cloudy...but a sky blue color. I know it's cloudy because of the high CYA (90-100) and as discussed before, can't do anything about it right now. I'm never going to a pool store again thanks to you guys. By the way, it only took me 24 gallons of bleach over 2 days, testing and adding every hour (except at night of course) to bring my shock FC up to 37 ppm, twice. Reached my target FC of 12 the next day, passed the OCLT. I'm now going to add DE to my sand filter according to the Pool School directions to aid in clearing up the water, it is much clearer, a littler every day.

I am really glad to hear you are having success. I do not want to rain on your parade at all, but if you are still cloudy you are not done yet. One of the criteria of completing a SLAM is when you are clear. The high CYA should not make you cloudy. I would keep SLAMing until it was cleared up. Please don't let this get you down, but keep going until you pass all three criteria. It sounds like you are right at the finish line so don't stop yet! :)

If you pass the OCLT 2 consecutive nights you can stop slamming, but keep the filter going 24/7 and see if it clears. Adding enough DE to the filter to raise the pressure by 1 lb after every backwash can help to filter out very fine particles.

Cat said:
Brushpup - thanks for the encouragement. Maybe I was thinking CYA=cloudy, but maybe it's because of my CH that someone said would not allow my pool to clear up. It's at 880 and I can't partially drain right now. Is this correct or should I still keep slamming?

Well, it could be, but I can't say with certainty. I will tell you not to stop though and see if you can get it to clear with the SLAM. What I do know, is that have run that hard with much higher TA, but not the 7.8 pH. Even still, I have never been cloudy because of calcium. And... I'm not saying yours is cloudy because of CH and 7.8, but I would lower that down to 7.4-7.5 if it were mine, partly for Chlorine effectiveness and partly for CSI. As for the CSI, plug that all into the calculator for specifics on it later on. Get the pH about 7.5 and don't worry over CH and TA for the moment...lets focus on Chlorine.

Honest injun, I'd just keep the SLAM up so we know it isn't that. See what happens, it can't hurt, and you likely need it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks zea3. These are my readings thus far. 8/22 PM: FC=12, 8/23 AM: FC=10.5, 8/24 AM: FC=9.5.

Brushpup, I dropped the pH to 7.2 prior to the initial SLAM. In fact I retested everything this AM.

FC 9.5
pH 7.2
TA 110
CH 880
CYA 90

I will SLAM again just to be on the safe side, I really miss my clear water. It was crystal clear up until about a month ago. Water temp is about 84, air temp between 98-100 right now.

It looks like when you were doing the OCLT, you FC was far below the SLAM level (you should have been at 35 ppm FC). Doing it at a lower level (down to your normal FC level for your cya level) is okay for the OCLT, but if you hadn't passed, you would have delayed your pool getting clear.

Make sure follow zea's suggestion of using DE to help your sand filter...it really speeds the clearing process up.

Once you are certain you are done with the SLAM, since you have such high CH, you will need to manage your ph levels closely. I would shoot to keep ph down and not let it get above 7.5 for now.

Smykowski said:
Richard320 is our resident high CH expert, so hopefully he will be along shortly to chime in. Until then, I don't think CH of 880 and pH of 7.2 will cause cloudy water. I think it needs more filtering time - sand filters will take the longest to clear a cloudy pool, but they work just fine.

Nor do I, and I won't make that leap until there is little other explanation.

Isaac-1 said:
I know there is a drought going on, but I would suggest preparing for the rains, when they do come, perhaps go ahead and get a small cheap submersible pump of the kind that Harbor Freight sells for around $50, and some cheap blue tarps you can hang to funnel water into the pool, if you have gutters on your house you could even rig diversion hoses on them to the pool, although on those you would likely want to some type of filtration, at a minimum a pair of panty hose over the end to catch the larger chunks After all chances are the rain bearing fall and winter frontal systems are not that far off..

Ike
X2 Get ready to take advantage!

btw, have you deep cleaned the sand filter and made sure there is no channeling or debris stuck in there?
Here's a link, JIC you need it: my-sand-is-channeled-how-to-fix-it-t7626.html

I've never done anything to the sand filter since it was installed in '91. I called my pool pro once and asked him if I needed to replace the sand and he said no. I am unfamiliar w/channeling or debris stuck. I have a huge canopy of oaks over my pool and I have no douth there is c--- in there. So now what?

I read the forum and this very well be a problem. Come to think of it, during the whole SLAM process, the pump gauge never gave me an indication to backwash, and it's fairly new. I always backwash when it tells me to, usually about once a week or every other week.

I have no clue how to "deep clean" the filter, direct me please.

I've never done anything to the sand filter since it was installed in '91. I called my pool pro once and asked him if I needed to replace the sand and he said no. I am unfamiliar w/channeling or debris stuck. I have a huge canopy of oaks over my pool and I have no douth there is c--- in there. So now what?

I read the forum and this very well be a problem. Come to think of it, during the whole SLAM process, the pump gauge never gave me an indication to backwash, and it's fairly new. I always backwash when it tells me to, usually about once a week or every other week.

I have no clue how to "deep clean" the filter, direct me please.

linen - I did read "how to" forum suggested, but I have no idea how to open up the sand filter.
Yes, my gauge does go to zero when I shut it off.

I don't know how to do that. I can take a picture w/my cell phone, but I don't know how to upload to this forum. I only know how to e-mail it to you. It is a solid capsule with a head, which has 3 pvc pipes coming "into" or "out of" the head and also houses the gauge. The actual filter is a solid capsule, all above ground.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.