Austin TX
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
If there's a choice, what is the oldest chlorine you'd buy for major SLAM use within a month? Yes, I've seen the Breakdown thread, but not much of idea when it's better to wait for fresher stock.

If you can find a local pool store that sells chlorine in 5 gallon containers, that is usually the best option. It is usually fresh and a higher concentration than bleach/chlorine from Walmart or similar.

The downside is that the 5gal containers are hard to handle.

It depends on how it’s stored by the place you get it from. If stored inside in a cool area it can be a few months old and still be good. If outside in heat, not so much.

If you can find a local pool store that sells chlorine in 5 gallon containers, that is usually the best option. It is usually fresh and a higher concentration than bleach/chlorine from Walmart or similar.
Only local pool store is Leslies and price, even though higher concentration, is ... :confused: Could not physically handle 5 gal containers.

It depends on how it’s stored by the place you get it from.
Yes, I know storage is a prime factor. So I'm assuming that inside a store, like Walmart is usually supposed to be, 2 months would be ok. If outside, but sheltered, like a "good" HD, maybe a month? At home, it'd be stored in an unheated/cooled building with max temp usually mid-80s.

Last edited:
I am using some 10% from Home Depot now dated Feb 3rd and it's shown no sign of degradation. I also keep it in a cool dark basement at about 65 degrees.
Basement? Basement? What's a basement? :ROFLMAO: Don't normally have those in the South. You're talkin' almost late winter temps for around here. :LOL: But thanks for the feedback. (y)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.