Older Salt Water System

pkjr

Apr 19, 2022
Orlando
Hi All - I need some help - my older single-speed Hayward pool pump died 1.5 HP. Some sparks were flying. The system came with the house we bought 6 years ago so it must be older than that.
My pool is 12000-14,000 gallons. I have a spa in the middle with small jets that you regulate by opening some valves.. The De filter is from Hayward as well. I called a couple of places and was offered from Jacuzzi 1.5HP to Hayward VST 1.85 and even Pantair 3HP. Some 1.85HP pumps were on backorder according to Pinch-A-Penny. The last guy told me I should go with Pentair variable speed 3HP as this is what they install for builders for all pool sizes ranging from 5,000 gallons ($1800 plus install $200)

I thought 3HP Pentair was overkill? but I am not sure.. what would you suggest that I do? Stay with Hayward? Mix and match? It looks like fixing the motor would run me $700 (incl labor)

Thank you
PaulIMG_0453.jpgIMG_0452.jpg

Last edited:
The advantage to the larger horsepower VSP is that the speed can be reduced so that you get good flow but the cost to run drops. Hayward is a good choice if you want to stay with the same brand equipment (Hayward bought Goldline decades ago). The reduced cost to run the pump along with less wear and easier filter backwashes make a VSP the best option. Hayward also makes a 2.7hp model.
It has been illegal (DOE regulations) to replace the motor of a single-speed pump in your horsepower range since July of last year, though I'm sure you could find someone willing to do it.
Another option is to replace your existing motor with a V-Green 2.7. You would then have a 2.25 total horsepower pump (which is what you have now) that is variable speed. You would use the higher speed for spa use (and get the same performance you have now) and allow it to run at lower speed settings for general pool filtration.
Another option is the Nidec Neptune 2.7 variable-speed motor that is available on some sites. I have used them both successfully.
If you choose to go with the replacement motor, you absolutely need the 2.7hp model. Do not try to use a smaller horsepower variable-speed motor. It will get damaged.

If you had a 1.5 HP motor the V green 1.65 motor is a perfect fit.. To go the the 2.7 you would have to change out the pump side to the 2.7hp version... If you are going to do that just get a whole new pump... Right now it is hard to beat the price of this one. one warning, there is no way to use external automation with this pump, only the internal timing... Also VS pumps get power wired directly to the motor and get power 24/7.. :)

If you had a 1.5 HP motor the V green 1.65 motor is a perfect fit.. To go the the 2.7 you would have to change out the pump side to the 2.7hp version... If you are going to do that just get a whole new pump... Right now it is hard to beat the price of this one. one warning, there is no way to use external automation with this pump, only the internal timing... Also VS pumps get power wired directly to the motor and get power 24/7.. :)

That would be true IF the service factor on that existing motor is 1.1, an uprated pump (1.5 X 1.1 = 1.65 total horsepower). Most Hayward Super 2 pumps were full-rated with a service factor of 1.5 (1.5 X 1.5 = 2.25 total horsepower). That would make that pump a 2.25 total horsepower full-rated pump. The impeller will load the motor to its full horsepower potential, in this case 2.25, and that will burn out a lower, 1.65 horsepower, rated motor. That's one of the reasons for the DOE's new labeling requirements for pumps. To try to eliminate this type of confusion. Some of these pumps, sold by a large pool retailer, weren't always full-rated pumps.

It looks like the label on the side of the pot is still intact and it should tell the tale, except that the existing motor appears to have been replaced at least once and you can't really know without a good view of the rating plate and, sometimes, actually opening the pump and getting the number off the impeller. Hard to give the most accurate information from 3000 miles away. Just best guess based on personal, long-term, experience.

Reactions: cowboycasey
@1poolman1 You are all over it and I always forget that pumps can be the exact way you explained it.. I would say the best thing to do would be a brand new 2.7 VS pump for less than a new VS motor. :)

Thank you for your replies. After sending the above pictures to a service department, the tech from Pinch-a-Penny told me that my fittings are close together and they would need to re-do my plumbing, 3 new valves. PVC, going into the ground, etc. Also, my salt cell is on the ground and would have to be repositioned because is a variable speed pumpo. Suddenly my estimate is jumping to close to $4k. I think I will get another estimate

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.