Older pump seems weak?

Mar 26, 2018
Sulphur Springs, NE Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have tried to find answers to this but failed, so forgive me if I missed it.
I know my pump is on the older side but couldn't give an age as such. I have read that 1hp should be plenty for a 24ft round agp. My pump does not seem to rotate/circulate the water around the pool wall much - should you see visible rotation? I have a thermometer hanging 2/3rds down into the pool just beside the return and it doesn't get 'blown sideways' much.
How visible should the effects of the return be, and do older pumps get weaker?
If I get a new pump, should I get 1hp? 1.5? And if cost is an issue should single speed be ok?
Thank you all.

Older pumps do not get weaker.

You typically cannot see the water flow. The prevailing winds affect the way things move on the surface more then the water flow.

Toss some ping pong balls in the water and watch the way it moves.

What problem are you trying to fix?

That was quick! Thank you!
I know my pump is bad. The screeching I understand to mean the bearings are shot.
Since I know it is old I expect to replace it. I was believing it was underpowered because it didn't seem to return with much force - I found it hard to believe all the water in the pool was being affected. I know of a 33ft round agp with a 1.5hp pump and they had more obvious rotation.
I didn't know whether to go 1.5 or whether a new 1hp would be more effective than this old one. Even that hanging thermometer beside the return is only slightly affected.
Hoping to make the right decision/purchase quick as the pump has now quit working - I guess the bearings got bad enough to seize?

If you want us to give you permission to buy a 1.5 HP pump then go for it. It is not necessary and will just raise your electric cost by 50%.

Get a VS pump and then you can adjust the flow to what best works for you and your equipment. And a VS pump will be more energy efficient then a SS pump.

I should say I watched one day recently (before the pump quit!) when there wasn't a breath of wind, and a floating thermometer did work its way very slowly around the pool.
In fact I now recall I lay still on a float (on a sunny afternoon, listening to the radio, I know, miserable afternoon) and I also floated very slowly around the pool ... approximately one revolution to 2 songs.

I am truly not trying to persuade you to recommend me a 1.5hp. I thought I might be better off with one but reading here suggested I didn't need one?
I hoped for confirmation either way, and also - you have answered this clearly and thank you - whether my old 1hp was weak. Thanks to you I now know that to not be true.

Skimmer/return water flow is supposed to be gentle and almost imperceptible around the pool. If people want to see more water action they install fountains or spillover or waterfalls. It sounds like your water flow is circulating fine.

Personally I'd suggest a 1 hp 2-speed pump. You can run it on low most of the time and it'll save your power bill.

If cost is that much of an issue, a 1hp single speed will be plenty of power and a little better on power than the 1½hp.

Thank you Sir. It seems straightforward that all I need is another 1hp pump, and perhaps even (if funds stretch) a 2spd? -so I can even run it slow for basic maintenance circulation and have the full speed available just for backwashing and vacuuming. (And getting the water clear again quicker if I ever get the start of a bloom, or a haze in the water...? (It's a sand filter) )

If any of my conclusions or assumptions are wrong I will happily take correction, but you seem clear in the basic question the a 1hp is sufficient.

A 1hp 2-speed will be more than adequate for that pool. But, look around the interwebs and see what you can get the best deal on. Sometimes they'll have specials and a 1½hp 2-speed may be cheaper than a 1hp -2-speed.

Also, don't be afraid to call Inyo Pools and ask them for a better price.

Note: Be sure to match the voltage of your existing pump when replacing it. I know it's most likely 120 volt, but make sure the new one matches.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you for your suggestion re INYO pools.
Do I correctly remember reading on here that a 2 speed uses one FOURTH of the power on slow speed?! Seems odd but I'm no scientist, mechanic, or electrician.

And yet I've also been puzzled by noticing no particular change in the electric bill between running it 8 hours overnight as compared to 24/7.

Ask away!
It should clear them faster on high speed due to the faster water turnover.
You might want to look at the plumbing and equipment to make sure it's operating as well as possible once you get the new pump running.

What was your filter pressure running with the old pump?

I'm ashamed to say - and expect to get a tirade of 'Are you kidding me??!!!' at this - but there pressure gauge doesn't work. I truly hate to have to admit that.
I had no issues before the pump went bad.
Other than wondering if the power was sufficient and what could be done to clear out a haze or a post-slam cloudiness quicker. Though to getting the water fully clear - sand filters are the slowest?

Sand filters capture particles down to 20-40 microns. Cartridge filters capture particles down to 10-15 microns. DE filters capture particles down to 2-6 microns.

Rate of filtering depends more about the size of your filter and pump flow rate then type of filter.

Sand filters are kinda slow sometimes, but if you get everything working well it shouldn't take too long to clear it up.
I'm not going to get bent out of shape about it, but you really should replace the gauge. They're pretty cheap and the info they provide can be very helpful especially if you have an issue you're trying to fix.

- but there pressure gauge doesn't work.
Filter pressure let's you determine when your filter is slowing down the flow through your pool.

In our discussion about pool circulation I was going to ask about yoru filter pressure but didn't bother when yous aid your pump had failed. A dirty filter and high filter pressure can be affecting your water flow. And simply back-washing or cleaning your filter can improve water flow more then the 1/2 HP pump upgrade.

To maximize your pools circulation you should not the clean filter PSI and backwash when the PSI rises by 25%.

Couple silly questions if I may?

If the sight bubble lets water out does that prevent the gauge working as the system is no longer sealed?

Is the face screen of the pressure gauge critical - ie a part of the system being sealed? It's the plastic face cover that's cracked and I've assumed that's why it doesn't work.

Don't you smart peeps ever get tired of silly questions?

Couple silly questions if I may?

If the sight bubble lets water out does that prevent the gauge working as the system is no longer sealed?

Is the face screen of the pressure gauge critical - ie a part of the system being sealed? It's the plastic face cover that's cracked and I've assumed that's why it doesn't work.

Don't you smart peeps ever get tired of silly questions?

No.

No.

No.

Then I'm puzzled why my pressure gauge doesn't work if the cracked face shouldn't stop it. I guess the answer is just put on a new one and see....

Speaking of the pump/filter system (you folks have me thinking about everything now) - what might be causing traces of sand and dirt to get back in my pool thru the return? If it's relevant it's not a hard plumbed system, it's connected with hoses.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.